Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber modules - two different switches

German Reja
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two different Cisco switches that need to be connected with optic fiber. The models are:

• Cisco Catalyst 2960x
  • Cisco Small Business SGE2010P

The fiber specs are:

• monomode
  • LC/LC terminals
  • mini Gbic

My question is: what modules should I buy to connect the fiber to each switch? The datasheet states that for connection between two 2960x, I need GLC-BX-U= andGLC-BX-D=.

However, a vendor told me that since i have two different switches, i need a GLC-LH-SMD=, and a MBGLH1 for the SGE2010P.

What should i do?

Thank you,

GermĆ”n 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The BX-U and BX-D types are SFPs for use in cases where you have only a single strand of singlemode fiber. They are not compatible with any GBIC that would go into the mini-GBIC form factor port at the SGE2010P end.

The vendor advised you correctly; assuming you have a pair of singlemode fiber and need to transmit over relatively long distance. Up to 10 km is supported for the GLC-LH-SMD= while the MGBLH1 supports up to 40 km - the lesser spec applies when interconnecting.

View solution in original post

Joanna -10Gtek
Level 1
Level 1

Obviously, the switch model is different, you can not use GLC-BX-U = and GLC-BX-D = module, and certainly can not connect with the other interface of the SGE2010P switch.
GLC-LH-SMD = and MBGLH1 is suitable for connection between these two Cisco switch.
By the way, the GLC-LH-SMD = is Available.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The BX-U and BX-D types are SFPs for use in cases where you have only a single strand of singlemode fiber. They are not compatible with any GBIC that would go into the mini-GBIC form factor port at the SGE2010P end.

The vendor advised you correctly; assuming you have a pair of singlemode fiber and need to transmit over relatively long distance. Up to 10 km is supported for the GLC-LH-SMD= while the MGBLH1 supports up to 40 km - the lesser spec applies when interconnecting.

Joanna -10Gtek
Level 1
Level 1

Obviously, the switch model is different, you can not use GLC-BX-U = and GLC-BX-D = module, and certainly can not connect with the other interface of the SGE2010P switch.
GLC-LH-SMD = and MBGLH1 is suitable for connection between these two Cisco switch.
By the way, the GLC-LH-SMD = is Available.