cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber Optics Connectivity

Imran75Khan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a scenario where i have to implement fiber optics connectivity.

There are two buildings A and B.

A is old building(existing) and has a Cisco 6500 series multi-layer switch and connected to other edge switches in same building.

Building B has 4 floors, each floor will have a communications cabinet in which there will be 2 or 3 cisco 3750-48 port POE swicthes.

The distance between the building is 500Meters.

My question is do i use a core switch in building B(new building) and connect it to Building A's core switch.

Or do i bring all the fiber cables from the fiber patch panels in Buliding B to the core switch in building A.

Further more what kind of SFPs should i use?

Do i need to use a specific kind of SFP on the core end and another on edge switches?

Also how many SFPs would i need, i mean like suppose in a cabinet the 3 switches will be stacked, so can i use a single fiber optics on any swicth in that communication cabinet, will that do or do i need to run seperate fiber optics cable from every switch to the core in another building.

I will be installing a fiber patch panel in each communication cabinet in the 4 floors in new building.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It would be easiest to extend each stack of switches in building B (assuming you will use Cisco StackWise cables to create stacks) to the core in Building A via a single pair of multimode fiber.

As far as which SFPs to use, what modules types do you have in the 6500? (check output of "show module" please). What exact switch models of 3750 are you using and do they have the optional network modules installed?

Using that information, you can check against the compatibility guide here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html

and the data sheets here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html

For the sake of discussion, you might multimode SFPs, Cisco model GLC-SX-MM=. These would generally work to extend a network over good fiber (e.g. OM3 rated or better) up to 1 km.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It would be easiest to extend each stack of switches in building B (assuming you will use Cisco StackWise cables to create stacks) to the core in Building A via a single pair of multimode fiber.

As far as which SFPs to use, what modules types do you have in the 6500? (check output of "show module" please). What exact switch models of 3750 are you using and do they have the optional network modules installed?

Using that information, you can check against the compatibility guide here:

and the data sheets here:

For the sake of discussion, you might multimode SFPs, Cisco model GLC-SX-MM=. These would generally work to extend a network over good fiber (e.g. OM3 rated or better) up to 1 km.

Thank you for the reply.

I am not sure about the Core Switch or equipment being used in the existing building as our technician who did the survey , did not survey the existing main building,he made a survey of the new building and just noted down the Data Nodes needed, floor plan and so on.The contact person did not inform the technician that the old building will be connected to the new building via fiber optics and the technician assumed it as a stand alone building.

The site is 1000km away from my current location,so i will try to get the necessary information on phone from IT personel there.

I will have to choose the edge switch as they only mentioned 3750 swicth and did not specify the exact model, so i think i will use WS-C3750-48PS-E as it has advanced ip routing capabilities and 4 1Giga Uplinks.It is POE so if they decide to use VoIP, that would not require power adapters for the phones and its stackable.

Based on the compatibility guide chart i think i can use GLC-SX-MM.

Thank you for answering my questions, it helped me clear out alot of stuff.I appreciate it.

You're welcome. Please rate helpful response.