Views
Helpful
Replies

Gigabit to 10 Gigabit Upgrade

D8CE8FD5
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there!

My network backbone currently consists of 1000BASE-SX links using OM2 multimode G50/125 µm fiber. The lengths are approximately 108 m / 98 m / 43 m / 40 m.

Now I'm supposed to upgrade to 10 Gigabit; what options do I have?

10GBASE-SR officially supports only 82 m over OM2 fiber. Is there any chance to work on 108 m? If not, what new cabling do you suggest?

I tend to switch to single mode fiber, since it seems to have fewer limitations in the long run.

Thanks!

Lucas.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

You can use Cisco SFP-10G-LRM modules with mod-conditioning patch cables. These modules support up to 220m on OM2 MMF.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

@D8CE8FD5 wrote:
What new cabling do you suggest for being future-proof, say 100GBASE-*!?

1.  The current standard for 40-/100 Gbps is OM3 & OM4 (up to 125 metres).  Aim for OM4. 
2.  Check out the price of 100 Gbps optics.  This is one reason why 100 Gbps is not "widely accepted" in non-telco/ISP network.

Hi,

For future deployments, I would recommend you go with SM-fibre.

Thanks

John

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@D8CE8FD5 wrote:
10GBASE-SR officially supports only 82 m over OM2 fiber. Is there any chance to work on 108 m? If not, what new cabling do you suggest?

Either run a new OM4 or EtherChannel at 1 Gbps.

Thank you, but EtherChannel doesn't work due to a lack of ports (and funds, for that matter).

@D8CE8FD5 wrote:

1.  The current standard for 40-/100 Gbps is OM3 & OM4 (up to 125 metres).  Aim for OM4. 
2.  Check out the price of 100 Gbps optics.  This is one reason why 100 Gbps is not "widely accepted" in non-telco/ISP network.

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

You can use Cisco SFP-10G-LRM modules with mod-conditioning patch cables. These modules support up to 220m on OM2 MMF.

Thanks

John

Thank you very much, I haven't thought of 10GBASE-LRM.

What fiber-type do you recommend for future deployments? The MM-fibers don't seem to be very future-proof.

Hi,

For future deployments, I would recommend you go with SM-fibre.

Thanks

John