Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLC-FE-100FX= // GLC-SX-MMD

Hi everyone!

I need some advice. I am planning to connect  the following switches  by multi-mode optical  fiber: IE-3010-16S-8PC (with GLC-FE-100FX= into the 16 x SFP 100Mbps  ports) and WS-C2960CX-8PC-L (GLC-SX-MMD into de 1Gbps uplinks). The port velocity does not match in both switches. So I am wondering if the 1Gbps uplink port could negociate the velocity and eventually set up the connection.

Kind regards

Miguel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No - sorry that won't work.

The gigabit SFPs you have in the 2960 operate only at that fixed  1 Gbps speed. There is no speed negotiation capability in optical transceivers since the optics operate at a fixed speed.

You could replace the GLC-SX-MMD gigabit SFPs in the 2960 switches with 100 Mbps one and that would work fine. The part number needed would be:

GLC-GE-100FX

100BASE-FX SFP for Gigabit Ethernet SFP Ports

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No - sorry that won't work.

The gigabit SFPs you have in the 2960 operate only at that fixed  1 Gbps speed. There is no speed negotiation capability in optical transceivers since the optics operate at a fixed speed.

You could replace the GLC-SX-MMD gigabit SFPs in the 2960 switches with 100 Mbps one and that would work fine. The part number needed would be:

GLC-GE-100FX

100BASE-FX SFP for Gigabit Ethernet SFP Ports

Thank you!