Views
Helpful
Replies

Integration with EoL CISCO ONS DWDM & SDH

damilola.o
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

The existing transmission infrastructure for a company we are consulting for uses CISCO IPoDWDM & SDH (model numbers: ONS 15454 and ONS 15310 respectively) and the original plan was to procure the same models on the new facilities to integrate with the old systems. However, it has recently been brought to our notice that these models have reached End of Life.

Are there newer models that can be installed on the new sites which are backward compatible with the older ones? We would like a seamless integration with the existing infrastructure without a need to upgrade or extend the old system.

I would appreciate any assistance on this issue.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, 

I missed one note about IPoDWDM. Cisco put DWDM/SDH in EoL ONS 15454/15310/15305. SDH Products ONS 15310/15305 complitly in EoL, but ONS 15454 not all in EoL, most ONS 15454 M12 in EoL excluding ONS 15454 M6 = NCS 2006/2002/2015. You have to contact with local Cisco CAM\SE and provide them information: traffic matrix(for now and for feature grow), fiber optical parameters (CD, PMD, Lenght, loss, OTDR) then SE with Optical Trunsport Busssuness Unit (OTBU) will calculate BOM in Cisco Transport Planner (CTP). You have to sign NDA to get CTP software and License to perform this calculation yuorself. I recommend you at first time request Cisco do it for you and after first project with Cisco you can try it yourself with own CTP software and license.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kayukovvalera
Level 1
Level 1

All Cisco SDH is EOL. You have to look at ASR 920:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/asr-920-series-aggregation-services-router/datasheet-listing.html

And you can't integrate old 15310 or 15454 SDH to new ASR 920. Just build new network based on ASRs.

Thanks so much for your response. Does that also apply for the DWDM? Also, is there a way I could get official Cisco support/advice on this issue - I need it to clarify to my bosses at work.

Please pardon me but I'm quite new to all of this. I'll also appreciate some resources that could give me a good grasp on how these systems work and how they are connected.

Thank you.

Sorry, 

I missed one note about IPoDWDM. Cisco put DWDM/SDH in EoL ONS 15454/15310/15305. SDH Products ONS 15310/15305 complitly in EoL, but ONS 15454 not all in EoL, most ONS 15454 M12 in EoL excluding ONS 15454 M6 = NCS 2006/2002/2015. You have to contact with local Cisco CAM\SE and provide them information: traffic matrix(for now and for feature grow), fiber optical parameters (CD, PMD, Lenght, loss, OTDR) then SE with Optical Trunsport Busssuness Unit (OTBU) will calculate BOM in Cisco Transport Planner (CTP). You have to sign NDA to get CTP software and License to perform this calculation yuorself. I recommend you at first time request Cisco do it for you and after first project with Cisco you can try it yourself with own CTP software and license.

Thanks so much for your advice. It's much appreciated.

We would proceed to get as much information as we can get from Cisco.

You've been very helpful, thank you.