cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it a mistake to buy cheap bulk fiber?

dangustafson
Level 1
Level 1

We have had some rat problems at one of our sites.  For some reason they chew through our fiber that feeds our IDFs.

I want to have a roll in stock so we can replace a run if necessary.  I need 6 fiber, 62.5/125 mm, tight buffered fiber.  I usually terminate with Corning Unicam LC connectors.

One of the major fiber product vendors (I don't want to advertise but rhymes with "canister") has some as cheap as $0.5354 per foot--it is brand name and sold by a well known supplier.  There is another vendor I found with a google search that is selling a 1000' roll of what seems like a nameless generic for $361.15 and free shipping.  The specs are what I need but I am a little afraid of buying this nameless fiber.

Does anybody have any experience they can share?

THANKS!

--Dan

3 Replies 3

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I talked with someone who does all my cabling. He told me that there are only a handful of glass (fiber) makers (in the US anyway) and that it is generally what they put around the glass that makes it cost more or less. So if the cheaper roll has the same specs it will probably suffice until the rats have their way with it.

On another note, interlocking armor cable or squirrel guard cable, although more costly, would probably eliminate the rat issues.

Hope this helps.

Agreed.  Glass is glass is glass.  If the specs are met, it's all the same.  If you want to keep the rats away for good, use armored cable.

Considering you're looking for OM1 fiber which is close to obsolete, the low price you see is more indicative of a vendor trying to get rid of stock as opposed to just selling a crappy product.

Just buy the cheap stuff.

fiberstorejames
Level 1
Level 1

I will not take the risk of buying the nameless brand cables. Although their prices are really tempting, they are more vulnerable to the animal bits and severe weather (according to my friends' experience). what's worst, once they have some problems, you have to reinstall the whole system, which can be time-consuming and money-wasting. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: