Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

Mix OM1 and OM4 fiber

I think I already know the answer to this question but here goes.  Can I in the same fiber run mix OM1(62.5 micron) and OM4(50 micron) fiber?  I have an existing run with OM1 and would like to not have to replace it.

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Collaborator

Re: Mix OM1 and OM4 fiber

Just my two cents.

If you're only running at Gig and not 10 Gig and adhere to the 62.5 distance specs you should be OK. I have the similar situation in several locations and have not had any issues.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Rising star

The below link provides a good overview of the implications of mixing fiber sizes (62.5um and 50um). 

http://www.thefoa.org/tech/fib62-50.htm

Highlighted

If you have looked at the FOA technical analysis of "Power Penalty For Mixing 50/125 And 62.5/125 Fibers In One Link", you might find it is feasible to mix them in a cable run, just remember to use color-coded cables. Even if you're running below GBE now and having a long OM1 cable, I still suggest you to replace it. Because you'll have to replace it soon or later. And if you're running at GBE, there's no doubt to replace OM1 with 50um fiber. It is not worth to tolerate the large amount of losses for the long term.

Highlighted
Collaborator

Just my two cents.

If you're only running at Gig and not 10 Gig and adhere to the 62.5 distance specs you should be OK. I have the similar situation in several locations and have not had any issues.

View solution in original post

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here