Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Advise on Cisco Switches

HI All,

I want to implement new setup for avaya ip office pabx with 100 ip phones. Now I need to select which POE switch is suitable for this network. Please note this just VOICE network only.. FOR data there is separate network already configure and I dont want to touch that network.

All the 100 phones all Poe and power taken from Switch. Please advise which switch is good for this network.

Cisco SG350 , SG 550 , Catalyst 2960 ,Catalyst 9200L ..Please advise.

I heard that  Catalyst 2960 going to end of life soon...During the purchase for switch do I need to purchase DNA Essentials for 3 yrs and SNTC 8*5* NBD ( This both services are must i need to buy)..

Thank you for all your advise...!!!!!!

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Given your requirement for PoE and just voice traffic you do not need to go for a catalyst/ nexus switch, as their performance exceeds what you need. 

An SG550 is more than adequate and the price is comparatively low! Go for the 550 over the 350 as it overs a higher PoE port density.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/550x-series-stackable-managed-switches/datasheet-c78-735874.html

cheers,

Seb.

HI Seb.

Thank you for your advise. SG550 and catalyst 2960 price difference is not much .What is your advise on this.

And what about  During the purchase for switch do I need to purchase DNA Essentials for 3 yrs and SNTC 8*5* NBD ( This both services are must i need to buy)..

If costing not much diffrence, i would prefer 29XX  mode compare to SG.

Depends on criticallty and business SLAC count here...smartnet contract and like to replacement how soon.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

It has been a good while since I was involved in ordering switches, but if the prices are similar then a 2960X would be the better switch....and by the same thinking the 9200 shouldn't be that much more either.

As you scale up your order, these small differences will soon add up!

The EoL for the 2960X is only for the 15.2(2) software train, so nothing to worry about.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-listing.html

Given the simplicity of your VOICE network I would suggest you only need the essentials license. At its most basic 'network essentials' perpetual license is more than sufficient for the network you have described.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/nb-06-cat9200-swit-ser-cte-en.pdf

cheers,

Seb.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
2960S or 2960X.
NOTE: I deliberately did not include Catalyst 9K.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: