cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP-10G-SR or with "S"?

Hubsi-Smith
Level 1
Level 1
Hello, I am unsure if I understood the difference correctly. Is it right, that the "S" in SFP-10G-SR and SFP-10G-LR only supports Ethernet? In case I want to connect 2 switches via Fibre the "S" is enough?
2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If they are in the same place suggest to go with S -Class not that expensive.

if you looking for difference as below :

Cisco 10G S-Class modules such as SFP-10G-SR-S only support Ethernet protocol. They don’t support FCoE(Fiber Channel over Ethernet), which is a storage protocol that enables fiber channel communications to run directly over Ethernet. While Cisco 10G non-S-Class modules like SFP-10G-SR support three protocols including Ethernet, OTN (Open Transport Network) and WAN-PHY (Wide Area Network-physical layer). In addition, S-Class 10G transceivers aren’t TAA (Trade Agreements Act) certified, but non-S-Class optics are all compliant to TAA.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for your explantation. We only want connect two c9200 switches together via singlemode fibre. Currently and in future there is no need for FCoE support.

I am not conform what could happend if we would buy no TAA supported SFP modules. I thought that all components produced by Cisco are useable without any issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: