Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP for WS-C2960-8TC-S

Hi 

I am not a network person, please answer me like I am a three year old.

I have a WS-C2960-8TC-S; (actually the case says "Si")  SN: FOC1529V12A.

I would like to purchase a SFP Transceiver  so I can send it a FO signal.

1) Which SFP Transceiver should I purchase?

2) Is the switch/transceiver single mode or multi mode?

3) what is the speed of the transceiver?

The manual lists a few types speeds so I am confused: 10/100 ports - uplink ; 10/100/1000??

4) What fiber converter can he use with this transceiver?

I need a fiber optic converter.  I friend suggested a TP-Link converter, so that is what I have been looking at.  Can you please tell me which TP-Link to get? 

5) FYI - I am only running the fiber aprox. 50 feet.

Thank you very much. I have spent hours trying to get the info from Cisco sales and Tech Support, only to be referred here.  you are my only hope :-) 

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WS-C2960-8TC-S  - if you have this switch (it almost end of Life)

Still usable, coming back to your Question, if you like to connect to any Ethernet ? or Fibre

if fibre. you can buy any GLC-MM 

if it is ethernet, you like to convert SFP port to Ethernet - Buy GLC-T

But if you connecting end device ethernet for this switch you do not need any of the above. switch has ethernet RJ45 ports.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi William,

you can see below comments,

I have a WS-C2960-8TC-S; (actually the case says "Si") SN: FOC1529V12A.
Cisco 2960-8TC-S Switch is End of life and support, But still you can use it. you will not get any support from Cisco.

I would like to purchase a SFP Transceiver so I can send it a FO signal.

Just want to understand from this Switch to another Switch you are going to lay a new fiber cable. if fiber is already layed and termination is done, then check the fiber mode. Is it a Single mode or Multimode.

UTP cable can work upto 90 Mtrs.
Multimode fiber can work upto 550mtrs
single mode fiber can work upto 10+ Kilometers.

1) Which SFP Transceiver should I purchase?
GLC-SX-MMD= sfp module which can support the speed 1G, and even your switch fiber port is 1G.

2) Is the switch/transceiver single mode or multi mode?
Switch fiber port can support both Single and multimode modules

3) what is the speed of the transceiver?
Your switch is having 2 fiber ports which is 1G.

The manual lists a few types speeds so I am confused: 10/100 ports - uplink ; 10/100/1000??
You have 8 ports of UTP/RJ45 which can support the speed of 10Mbps to 100Mbps and you have 2 fiber ports which can support 10Mbps to 1G speed.

4) What fiber converter can he use with this transceiver?
you can use any fiber converter, The converter is converting the fiber connection to UTP connection. if you are converting the fiber connection to UTP connection then go for GLC-TE= SFP module which can be used for connecting UTP cable and works upto 90 mtrs and no need of fiber cable also.

I need a fiber optic converter. I friend suggested a TP-Link converter, so that is what I have been looking at. Can you please tell me which TP-Link to get?

5) FYI - I am only running the fiber aprox. 50 feet.
if both connection ends are UTP then no need of fiber you can use UTP cable and also you can use GLC-TE= module

Rate my response if your points are clear

Thank you for the answer. :-)

This is for my home.

I have Verizon Fios.  The signal out of the Verizon ONT goes to the Verizon Fios-G1100 Router. It comes out of the router as Ethernet cable.  I want to convert the Ethernet to FiberOptic, so I need the converter, the router does not have an SFP.  I want the FO for isolation, (electrical noise isolation).

My 2960-Si 8TC switch has only one FO port, (which is fine).

I do not have any FO "cable"(is that what you call it) Yet.  It looks like I can buy Multi-Mode.

What is UTP?

So this is the Transceiver I need (below)

Cisco GLC-SX-MMD SFP 1000Base-SX Short Haul Multimode Module with DOM Support

It cost about $20.  I need two, correct? 

Will you please recommend a TP-Link converter?

Thank you

William

Hi William,

if its for personal use and short distance the MM fiber would be more than enough and also make sure you use the right fiber cable to connect between the devices.

Thank you for the reply.

When you say the "correct cable", will any multimode fiber cable do?

I am assuming that all I have to do is purchase the correct fiber converter (I have not figured that out yet, looking at TP-Link, I could use a recommendation), plug in the transceiver into the converter and switch, plug in the fiber cable and I should be goo to go, correct?

Is 1000base and Gb the same thing?

Yes you can go with any fiber cable and media converter.

Purchase a pair of TP-LINK MC200CM media converters and a SC connectorized OM2 rated 2-fiber jumper cable (such as https://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdoor-Duplex-Fiber-Multimode/dp/B01MY003YM) and you should be ready. 

Attach CAT5E jumper between FIOS router's RJ45 port to a media converter, then fiber jumper cable between media converters and finally the CAT5E jumper to your far end equipment. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: