Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP module, help

Hi guys,

I never use SFP module before, so please help me out.

I have a fiber connection between location A and B. I test the fiber with contractor and the result is successfull.

From the termination, there is patch cord that connect to a SG 300-10MP 10-port Gigabit Max-PoE Managed Switch (SRW2008MP-K9-EU) using a SFP module (MGBSX1).

Location B also the same. From the termination, there is a patch cord connect to a 3Com switch also using a SFP module.

My question is, at the Cisco switch there is no green indicator light, and is check the GUI it show port is Adminstrative = UP, Operational = Down.

If connect the termination to the SFP, it should have light right??

Fyi, at the 3com also no light indicator.

I need an opinion.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

elepon06
Level 1
Level 1

Try to reverse the ends on one side on the FOC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you have multimode fiber between Location A and B?  How long is this fiber link?

What SFP module are you using in the 3COM swtich?

If you take a patch cord and loop it at Location A from the SFP's transmit port directly to its receive port, does the GUI show UP, UP? Try the same at Location B.  This should confirm the SFPs are working.

The following 2 documents can be helpful troubleshooting transciever and link issues.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_tech_note09186a00807a30d6.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfd6.shtml

Hi Tom,

thanks for the reply,

the fiber is Multimode, it is 350m.

at the 3com, I'm using 3Com Transceiver - 3CSFP91.

The SFP I'm sure is working because it is brand new, i just order it.

How can i do the looping using the patch cord to confirm the connection??

care to eloberate?

Use the Cisco Transceiver Compatibility information based upon the transceiver speed and equipment the pluggable is being installed in. 

Good afternoon I'm buying 3 Sw SG 300-10 model and the seller is giving me the following modules SFP GLC-SX-MM datasheet but not as compatible, my question is if this module is compatible or not? and that tells me that they tested it and it works. Thanks for all the help.

Buenas tardes estoy comprando 3 Sw modelo SG 300-10 y el vendedor me esta dando los siguientes modulos SFP GLC-SX-MM pero en el datasheet no esta como compatible, mi duda es si ese modulo es compatible si o no? ya que el me dice que lo probaron y funciona. Gracias por toda la ayuda.

elepon06
Level 1
Level 1

Try to reverse the ends on one side on the FOC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support