Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP Patch Cable to Media converter

mlsc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am purchasing an SFP (GLC-SX-MM-RGD) to use with a Cisco 1572 Access Point. The SPF states it has a LC/PC (or UPC) connector. I need to connect this SFP to a blackbox media converter (LGC5211A) that has an SC connector.

1) When they do not specify the physical connection, can I assume a certain type. For instance, the SC on the media converter does not specify Flat, PC, UPC or APC. Is there a default type.

2) I can't seem to find any patch cables that do LC/PC to straight SC. everything is PC to PC, or PC to APC. Am I missing something? What would be the best way to connect the SFP to the media converter?

Thank you for your assistance.

Michael

1 Reply 1

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

1) When they do not specify the physical connection, can I assume a certain type. For instance, the SC on the media converter does not specify Flat, PC, UPC or APC. Is there a default type. 

ANS. My understanding is that the Flat, PC and UPC are interchangeable. In some cases it may make a difference, but in yours it really doesn't. I checked some of my jumpers and they are PC and never have had an issue in the Cisco / networking environment. For your application the only one that will not apply is the APC as that is an angled connector, which needs to mate with another angled connector. The other three are more of the "default".

2) I can't seem to find any patch cables that do LC/PC to straight SC. everything is PC to PC, or PC to APC. Am I missing something? What would be the best way to connect the SFP to the media converter?

ANS. I think if you just look for an LC/SC patch cord and not worry about the connector polish type you'll be just fine. However, if it states LC/PC to SC/PC that will work. Just don't get the APC.

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: