Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching from multimode to monomode fiber

lusousaep
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have a WS-C3550-24-PWR with a gbic 1000BASE-SX (Cisco P/N 23L3337). This gbic has a SC connector.

This fiber interface is connected with a WS-C3524-PWR-XL wich has a similar gbic installed.

The actual fiber is a multimode one.

In the next few weeks I'll have to migrate these equipments to another place. The fiber that exists in this new local is a monomode one.

My doubt is:

will this interconnection work considering the fiber type will change from multimode to monomode?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

AkbarAliSheikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Luis,

There are different GBICs for mulit mode and single mode fibre. You will need to make sure that you used single mode GBIC modules on both switches when using a single mode fibre also have to make sure that these modules are compatible with Cisco as you might end up getting errors on interfaces.

Single mode fibres are normally used longer distances.

Thanks

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Akbar has indicated, the transition to singlemode fiber (monomode) is easy with GBIC pluggable transceivers.  Review the GBIC compatibility URL for your Cisco equipment to choose the correct GBIC for singlemode fiber, base on the length of the fiber (review the GBIC data sheet).  Also remember to order appropriate singlemode fiber optic patch cords to connect to the new fiber cables/patch panel (verify connector type).

Hope this helps!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: