Views
Helpful
Replies

Tranceiver 1 GB to 10 GB

daniel.varela11
Level 1
Level 1

Please,

Currently I have a SW Cisco Catalyst 2960X-48FPS-L, which has SFP Gbics and a fiber of 10 GB to connect from this SW to another Cisco Catalyst 2960X-48FPD-L which supports SFP+ 10 GB.

Could you help on choose the right tranceiver to uplink 1 GB to 10 GB in the Cisco Catalyst 2960X-48FPS-L ?

Or Do I need just to verify if programming the SW 48FPS-L, I can uplink current SFP to support SFP+?

Please confirm if possible.

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You cannot change the speed of a SFP+ transceiver, therefore you cannot connect SPF and SPF+ transciever toghter and expect them to work. The SPF+ slot is however backward compatible so you can insert a SFP transceiver into it.

Here is a filtered view of the modules for both platforms:

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?dr=8&npid=654&npid=659

...the GLC-SX-MMD is most likely the one which will be fit for purpose assuming it is a relavtivly short reach.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Sep

Thanks for reply,

Maybe I did not explain very well.

Currently I have a 10 Gb fiber, want to make a link between two Switches.

The source switch is 2960X-48FPS-L it seems support only SFP and the destination switch is 2960X-48FPD-L it has support SFP+ .

So, is it possible to keep the current source switch and make it work with 10 GB. ?

Thank you

"So, is it possible to keep the current source switch and make it work with 10 GB. ?"

No, not unless both ports have 10g capable ports.

If one switch has SFP, only, and the other SFP+, you can have gig SFPs in both, but cannot have 10g in both.

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You talk about "10GB fibre" so I assume you are referring to either OM3 or OM4. Either of these types can work with 1G MMD transceivers.

As for the 2960X-48FPS-L, it can only use SFP transciervers (no more than 1GB). It can use your OM3/4 fibre, but it can only be connected to another SFP at the other end.

cheers,

Seb.