cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transceiver and Fiber Cable wavelength Mismatch, will they work?

r20039r20039
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have two switches on two ends where Transceivers are installed that support upto Tx 1310 nm and Rx 1490 nm
Cable indoor connected to them supports 1310 nm and the cable Outside supports 1510 nm.

Will the data transmission work?

Thank you

11 Replies 11

fiberstorejames
Level 1
Level 1

I can not fully understand what you are talking about.

For me, when choose the optical transceivers and fiber optic patch cables for your infrastructure, you'd better ensure its compatibility. Single-mode transceiver can only work with single-mode fiber cables, and multimode transceiver with multimode fibers. Therefore, you must first figure out what type of your transceiver is, then use the corresponding fiber optic patch cables. That's it !

Hope this helps!

Nowhere in my post mode was a point of inquiry. It was Wavelength. My Transceivers support Single mode only, cables are single mode too. The problem is with different wavelength. 

My, 

Indoor cable supports wavelength up to 1310nm 

Outdoor cable supports up to 1550 

whereas my Transceivers support Tx 1310 nm and Rx 1490 nm of wavelengths. 

Now , would they work?

What model of transceiver are you using? I ask because a given transceiver generally supports a specific wavelength for both transmit and receive  

The exception is something like the 1000BASE-DX10-U and -P which use different wavelengths to allow them to use a single strand for both Tx and Rx. For that to work reliably, the end to end path should support the 1550 nm wavelength.

Hi Marvin

I am using Siemens SFP1132-1BX10R transceivers. 

My Indoor cable supports: 1550 nm of wavelength 

My Outdoor Cable supports: 1310 nm of wavelength

This is the Spec for that Transceiver

Ok. So with that transceiver type the indoor segment would be operating outside its rated specifications. You might get a link to establish but it wouldn't be a sure thing. It would depend on things such as the margin in your optical loss budget and the drop off at the longer wavelength.

Marvin, 

My guess is it would work but the cable outside would not be able to serve with Transceiver's Rx threshold which is 1550 nm. I just want to be sure of it. 

SFP1132-1BX10R transceiver (1310nm Tx / 1490nm Rx) should be paired with a SFP1132-1BX10T transceiver (1490nm Tx / 1310nm Rx).  These transceivers operate over a single fiber, bi-directional single mode fiber and use internal filters to separate the the two wavelengths to the appropriate device (Transmitter and Receiver).  

I am curious what type of fibers you are using that limit the wavelength transmissions to only specific wavelength bands; 1310nm indoors and 1550nm outdoors (or vise-versa depending upon your posts)?  Is there some other equipment in the fiber link between these two SFPs?

Thanx! 

Koh Bock Keat
Level 1
Level 1

I do not quite understand the specification of your transceivers that you have mentioned. However it is important to ensure that directly connected tranceivers have the same wavelength. There is 3 commonly used transmission wavelength - 550nm, 1310nm and 1550nm. Connecting transceivers with different wavelength will not work. 

vikramsisodia72
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The cabling has nothing to do with the transmission basically your SFP modules should be of same grade/standards.

Patch cord needed depends on which SFP you use,  single fiber for Multi-mode as you have two wavelengths in same fiber and two fibers in case you have a single mode SFP.

Vikram Sisodia
CCIE #49587
JNCIA-JunOS

Montyhead
Level 1
Level 1

We had a Cisco 6506 with 1 gig LH transceivers 1310nm that were working with service provider 1550nm optics. Well when we went to change out switch with newer one we couldn't get transceivers to consistently go into up state. It was then discovered by service provider that wrong optics were in there. What a nightmare.