Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

twingig support in 4500 Supervisor II+10GE

Hello,

I have a doubt regarding the support of CVR-X2-SFP - aka twingig adapter - in WS-X4013+10GE (Supervisor II+10GE in a 4507R-E chassis).

This sup has 2 10GE and 4 GE interfaces and the 4 GE interfaces are all occupied. We need to connect 2 more switches that don't have 10GE ports, so the idea was to use the twingig adapter to use 2 more gigabit SFP's. The problem is I can't find it in any compatibility list, either stating it is supported or not supported.

Has anyone tried this in real life?

Thanks for any answers!

Miguel

2 Replies 2

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take a look at the following URL to determine the capability you are looking for:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_tech_note09186a00807a30d6.shtml

The compatibility information tables do not seem to identify what is supported with the Twingig module.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I couldn't find that particular (older) Supervisor but it is conspicuous by its absence on this page where it specifically states:

To increase the flexibility of X2 ports on the Supervisor Engine 6-E, Supervisor Engine 6L-E and WS-X4606-X2-E, the Catalyst 4500 series switch, as well as Catalyst 4900M and Catalyst 4948E, support TwinGig Convertor modules. When you plug a TwinGig Convertor module into an X2 hole, it converts a single X2 hole (capable of holding one pluggable X2 optic) into two SFP holes (capable of holding two pluggable SFP optics). This enables you to have 10-Gigabit ports and 1-Gigabit ports on the same line card. It also allows you to use Gigabit ports, and then switch to a 10-Gigabit port, when needed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: