Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two different tranceivers on the same supervisor

Hi everyone,

I want to install on the same supervisor two different tranceivers. The supervisor is VS-SUP2T-10G and the tranceivers are X2-10GB-LX4 and X2-10GB-SR, both of these tranceivers are on different uplinks to other SWITCH.   I checked the supervisor and  supports both tranceivers, but I want to know if I can have one of each instead of 2 of the same kind on the same supervisor. Is this possible?

Regards

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure - as long as both types are supported by the hardware you can mix and match them on a given module.

Note that a given link must have the same type at each end.

Just to add to what Marvin already noted, sometimes transceiver support varies based on installed IOS version.

E.g.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/10GE_Tx_Matrix.html?dtid=osscdc000283#_Toc497120277

palashgoyal21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, you can only Link one type of SFP with the same type on another or same switch but you cannot link one SR to another LR optic. 

The Tx/RX laser will mismatch. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As the other posters have already noted, the answer is "yes", provided the transceivers are supported.

BTW, ditto to line cards that support transceivers.

Also BTW, many of Catalyst 6500 supervisor uplink ports are not quite as "good" as offered by other line cards.  However, I recall, the sup2T's uplink ports are pretty "good".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: