Replies

UTP 10Gb link on Catlayst 9000

Safwane Madjeri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to all,

I would like to ask you about a subject i am currently working on:

Background:
- Deployment of Catalyst 9300 48 GE SFP Ports (C9300-48S) + 10GE module (C-9300-NM-8X)
- Deployment of new HP ESX platform with 1Gb and 10Gb UTP NICs

After some research we found the Cisco SFP-10G-T-X module (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/q-and-a-c67-743938.html)

which could be used to connect the new switches (via C-9300-NM-8X modules) to the 10Gb ports of the servers.
However, it appears that these modules are not currently compatible with the Catalyst 9000 family.

Problems :

- Modules not compatible with the Catalyst 9000 family
- No price information about this module is available on the Cisco commerce / ciscogpl websites.
- Module does not appear to be sold by Cisco --> Compatible models available (ex: FS Cisco SFP-10G-T-S Compatible Module SFP+)
- Maintain 10Gb links between the servers and the 9300s
- Stay on top of the use of BASE-T 10Gb NICs on the server side
- Avoid replacing (significant additional cost) the current 10Gb BASE-T 10Gb NICs with server-side SFP+ 10Gb NICs.

Questions and Answers :
- Is it possible to deploy Catalyst 9300 with 10Gb UTP links?
- Is the SFP-10G-T-X module compatible with Catalyst 9000?
o If yes, what are the warranty, Smartnet,... considerations?

- If not, are we obliged to use SFP modules on the Cisco side and replace the NICs on the server side?

- What solution could I consider?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read me and looking forward to your feedback/proposals.

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes you can stack with your C9300 - also UXM support same modules also. Make sure if you already running old IOS XE , you may need to upgrade to 16.12.X code to meet some requirement.

UXM support - 12x Multigigabit (100M, 1G, 2.5G, 5G, or 10 Gbps)

its all your requiremnet and business need, if you add 2 UXM you get 24 10GB ports. If you want to add NM cards that also works,. but i prefere to have - C9300-NM-8X with SFP card on server side. But some server hard to get compatabile, so UXM is good candidate.

hope that make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not tested 10GB Copper SFP -

1. If you have purchased Cat 9300 UXM, it got a mGig ports and got a 10GB Ethernet port. you can directly connect to Esxi Server.

2. or you can buy a 10GB card on a server which supports SFP+ for 10GB, you can directly connect 10GB SFP Cisco to Server.

If you already purchased Cat 9300 with the NMX module, the seconds option is easy for you to work.

is this make sense ?

BB

Hi Bandi,

Thanks for this quick return. We opted for the C9300-NM-8X module because in some cases we had more nodes to connect.

According to your return if nodes allow us to go with Cat 9300 UXM, it will be ok, but in case of more nodes we will need to replace NIC card on servers with SFP+ cards.

Thanks

Hi Bandi,

In addition we need to keep  in our architecture 2 switches C9300-48S. So do you think we can add and stack with them a C9300-48UXM-A switch ? Morever adding C9300-NM-4M module to fiver switch could be relevant to have more 10Gb UTP Link ?

Regards

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes you can stack with your C9300 - also UXM support same modules also. Make sure if you already running old IOS XE , you may need to upgrade to 16.12.X code to meet some requirement.

UXM support - 12x Multigigabit (100M, 1G, 2.5G, 5G, or 10 Gbps)

its all your requiremnet and business need, if you add 2 UXM you get 24 10GB ports. If you want to add NM cards that also works,. but i prefere to have - C9300-NM-8X with SFP card on server side. But some server hard to get compatabile, so UXM is good candidate.

hope that make sense ?

BB

Totally make sense Thanks a lot

Hi all

We have ordered the new 9300-48-uxm switches for a remote location and I need to send a basic config so locals can install this config. I already found out that Interface 1/0/37 till 48 are the 10 Gb interfaces, but I can't find how to name them. Is it Te1/0/37 when I configure it as 10 Gb, or is it changing when It is in autonegotiate? With Nexus it is easy, it is always E1/x, but with IOS I can't tell.

We have a nm-8x card, and that is te1/1/1-8, but int 1/0/37 till 48 I don't know.

Who can help me with this.

Regards

Stefan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: