Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2960-8TC-Si SFP lights not coming on

Hi

I installed an SPF into my Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-Si and when I hook everything up the indicator LED lights are not coming on.

I have been using this switch for a wile and I wanted to upgrade the connection from the switch to the router with FO.

I purchased a TP-Link MC200CM Gigabit Multi-mode Media converter. An OM3 50/125 um Duplex FO patch cable. TP-Link TL-SM311LM 1000base-SX MMF Mini GBIC Module.

The module is the one recommended by TP-Link to work with the converter and TP-Link said that it will work with my Cisco Switch.  I checked the they are both 850nm and the spec sheets say that they work with the 125um cable.

Is there something I need to do to enable power to the SFP port on the Switch?  I can connect my computer to the switch, the manual says that I can use any port and type the 10. address.

I am not a computer guy so please, any instructions, make them for a six year old.

I heard the module make the click when I plugged it in.

Thank you very much

Bill

9 Replies 9

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4

I'm not familiar with this particular switch, but if you have a choice between using the RJ port or the SFP port, I think you probably have to specify the media type in order for the SFP to be recognized.

Thank you.

I have never used my computer to log into the switch, yet, do you know where or what menu I will use to specify the media type to enable the SFP?  what would the dialog box be called?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

connect to the device, and post what is the exact logs you see after insertion of this SFP?

post below output :

show version

show interface x/x

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

so you are suggesting, I unplug the SFP, log into the switch, plug the SFP back in and watch for a message.  Where would it show a log?

Thank you

if you have access to device using Console you can check console logs, (since you physically available to unplug and plug SFP)

if you do not have console cable, you can loging using ssh or telnet

show logging will show you logs. (if log configured).

BB

I unplugged and re-inserted the SFP, no SFP lights came on.

I unplugged the power and plugged the power back in - no SFP lights came on.

I hooked my laptop up with an Ethernet cable into the Console port, entered 10.0.0.1 into the browser, no connection.

I hooked my laptop up with an Ethernet cable into the regular port, entered 10.0.0.1 into the browser, no connection.

Do you have any suggestions.  

Do I need to install the assist software on my laptop?

The internet is working on the switch,

where is the Logs i have requested to understand the issue?

BB

Hi

Sorry for the delay.

Please see in my previous post, I could not access the switch operating system with the Ethernet cable in the Console or in a regular port.  So I could not access the logs.

I was using the SFP/transever that matched my TP Link media FO conveter. 

I ordered a Gtek ASF24-X2-Cisco2 and it worked.

It did not work with a hot boot, but I power cycled the switch and after a few minutes the SFP lights came on and it is working.

Thank you,

Bill

Do you mean rebooting switch was the fix ? still, you like to fix the issue that happens, you need to login to switch and I look at the logs to nvestigate what went wrong.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: