Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3850-24T with C3850-NM-2-10G and non SFP+ receptacle

Vladimir_K
Level 1
Level 1
Dear colleagues,
Currently I'm designing to connect Dell R740(with 10 VM-s), equipped with Intel X520 DP 10Gb DA/SFP+(Dell PN: 540-BBBB) and two SFP+ modules - SFP+ SR Optic, 10GbE(Dell PN: 407-BBVK). My intention is to connect this server to  WS-C3850-24T with C3850-NM-2-10G + two SFP+ modules - Cisco SFP-10G-SR. Will it work for me? Hesitation raised, when I read in the specifications of C3850-NM-2-10G, that only the 4th receptacle support SFP+.
Thank you in advance for the comments!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The  C3850-NM-2-10G has four ports, the first two are 1G native and the ports 3 and 4 are 10G native so therefore support SFP+ 

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The  C3850-NM-2-10G has four ports, the first two are 1G native and the ports 3 and 4 are 10G native so therefore support SFP+ 

cheers,

Seb.

Thank you very much, Seb! In that case I will purchase Cisco SFP-10G-SR for the 3 and 4 receptacle. 

Depending on the distance to the server, you may want to consider SFP+ Twinax cables, they are considerably cheaper than buying optics and can reach up to 10 metres.

cheers

Seb.

The problem with Twinax is there can be compatibility issues when going from one manufacturer to another. I'd have to look at that exact application but nevertheless, here is what I would want the world to know ...

What the OEM cannot do, many times can be done aftermarket. We have Twinax solutions where we can encode EACH end of the cable specifically to whatever hardware you are connecting to. For instance, HP to Cisco, Juniper to Extreme, Cisco to Juniper, etc.

You can obviously do compatible transceivers on each end with fiber, and there is nothing wrong with that. I would say it is a matter of "armor" / rigidity, cost, and at the end of the day, preference.

As a point of reference to cost, here is a Twinax from Cisco to Cisco in 10G SFP+

https://www.cablesandkits.com/mc/data-cables/sfp-h10gb-cu/fam-21//

At the speed of light!

Craig Haynie - CEO
CablesAndKits
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: