cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 meters 10GB cable - cooper or optical?

olegvazhnev
Level 1
Level 1

I need to connect SFP+ server with Cisco SFP+ switch. They are very close to each other so I need just 2 meters cable. I can do this using two cables:

either

Cisco SFP-10G-AOC2M Active Optical Cable assembly

or

Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU2M Twinax cable, passive, 30AWG cable assembly

What are pros and cons of these cables? Which one is better?

I'm using server for trading so it's important for me to have the best possible latency and speed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Functionally they are equivalent.

Optical, in general, has more resistance from RF interference but in a 2m distance use case that should not be an issue in any but the most extreme environments.

The copper version list price is a bit less than half the cost of the optical one.

Make sure your switch server are compatible with whichever part your choose. Here's a link to the switch compatibility matrix.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Functionally they are equivalent.

Optical, in general, has more resistance from RF interference but in a 2m distance use case that should not be an issue in any but the most extreme environments.

The copper version list price is a bit less than half the cost of the optical one.

Make sure your switch server are compatible with whichever part your choose. Here's a link to the switch compatibility matrix.

Thanks for fast and complete response!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: