Views
Helpful
Replies

40Gb QSFP and C6800-32P

mikael eriksson
Level 7
Level 7

Hello!

I have a few questions about the 40GE QSFP adapter that i hope someone will be able to anwer. I have been reading this Cisco document

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-660083.html

1. Lets say you have a 6807-XL chassi with supervisor 2T and C6800-32P10G-series linecard, these linecards are supposed to support 8x40GE in oversubsrciption mode and 4x40GE in performance mode with QSFP adapters. Does anyone have more information about this setup? When will it be supported? Is it supported today? Has anyone tried running it?

Im having some issues finding information on when it will be possible to use a QSFP adapter in C6800-32P10G linecards. 

2. Lets say you have DWDM chassin in two different locations, they are connected with darkfiber, this darkfiber is used for different purposes split into different wavelenghts. Would it be possible to connect 40GE with a QSFP adapter over a DWDM solution? The QSFP adapter is doing the multiplexing and demultiplexing so the 40GE signal is carried over 4 wavelengths, when the 40GE signal reaches the DWDM solutions it is placed on its own wavelength over the darkfiber. Would this be a problem?

Thanks in advance

/Micke

2 Replies 2

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Regarding #2

The QSFP transceivers are not operating at wavelengths compatible with those used in a DWDM system. In order to place the signal from a QSFP onto a DWDM system, you would need a 40Gbps transponder card in the DWDM system with a client interface that supports the same optical format provided by the QSFP.  The transponder card would provide the optical-electrical-optical conversion to place the output of your QSFP onto a wavelength compatible with the DWDM's optical filters. 

Thanks Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: