Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560 and MGBIC

caioamonteiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know if the MGBSX1 and MGBLX1 are compatible with Catalyst 3560 SFP ports (WS-C3560G-24TS). I'm looking to directly connect my fibers to my switch, but I couldn't find out the difference between MGBICs and GLC-LH-SM=, for example. Cause MGBICs are really, really cheaper.

Thanks,

Caio.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I suspect there is little to no difference between the two devices.  The MG series SFPs are used in the Linksys equipment, which was targeted to the lower cost installations, thus its lower price.  Cisco has not qualified these SFPs in the standard Cisco equipment, thereby, they are not included in the compatibility documents. 

View solution in original post

Yes the MGBIC is cheaper then the GLC-LH.  Although made by the same group of manufacturers Cisco has inserted an IDPROM algorythm to check.  The MGBIC doesn't have this value.

Cisco has put a stop to the enterprising practice of purchasing 3rd party (and cheaper) modules to be used in their equipment and then ring up TAC for issues with it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I would like to know if the MGBSX1 and MGBLX1 are compatible with Catalyst 3560 SFP ports (WS-C3560G-24TS).

No it's not.

Cause MGBICs are really, really cheaper.

Still not supported.

So I would have to buy GLC-LH-SM= to use SFP ports with fiber?

And could you explain me the difference between GLC-LH-SM= and MGBIC?

Thanks!

I suspect there is little to no difference between the two devices.  The MG series SFPs are used in the Linksys equipment, which was targeted to the lower cost installations, thus its lower price.  Cisco has not qualified these SFPs in the standard Cisco equipment, thereby, they are not included in the compatibility documents. 

Yes the MGBIC is cheaper then the GLC-LH.  Although made by the same group of manufacturers Cisco has inserted an IDPROM algorythm to check.  The MGBIC doesn't have this value.

Cisco has put a stop to the enterprising practice of purchasing 3rd party (and cheaper) modules to be used in their equipment and then ring up TAC for issues with it.

Ok,

Thanks everyone for helping me. now I'm going to buy the GLC-LH to activate my SFP ports and run out of media converters.

Thanks for the ratings.