Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560 Fiber chain

it
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Question 1:

I have 7 Cisco Catalyst 3560, and I need to chain them with fiber.
what the the best way to do it?

Can it be done like this, as a ring?
1>2
2>3
3>4
4>5

5>6

6>7

7>1

Or I'll need to do it as a chain and not connect the 7 back to 1 ?

Question 2:

My switches are mixed 24 and 48 ports, so the 24 ports have 2 combo ports (FSP) and the 48 have 4.

So on the 48, where will be the best to connect my Fiber, on 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 ?

Thanks

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OMG, a daisy chain.  :P

Why not just get a refurb 3750X-12S?

Why not just get a refurb 3750X-12S?

Because I already have these, and I don't have the budget to get different switches...

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is possible but not generally a good idea for several reasons:

1. Each switch between 1 and 7 is a single point of failure for the end to end path.

2. If there is any other network they will connect to, you are approaching the maximum recommended diameter of a spanning tree (7 hops, based on standard timer settings). Even if you don't exceed the diameter constraint, you are increasing STP convergence time.

Regarding which ports to use, it doesn't really matter. The SFP ports don't have any functional difference between each other on this platform.

So what is the best way to do this?

They are all POE, I need them for IP phones only

We have 7 floors in the building, each floor gets a switch

There is a Fiber going from each floor to the next

They are not connected to any other network (except for a router for DHCP...)

Can I daisy chain them with the last switch connected back to the first (for failover) ?

Or it needs to be one line only?

Thanks

Can I daisy chain them with the last switch connected back to the first (for failover) ?

Like what Marvin is saying, it can be done ... in a LABORATORY environment.  In a production environment there is a significant chance a loop will occur.  

If the last switch ain't connected to the first, then the chance of a single-point-of-failure is equally high.  

This is a kind of scenario they teach at Networking 101.  

You definitely do NOT want to make a loop. That is opening the door and putting out a welcome sign for a spanning tree meltdown.

It's very odd to have fiber from floor to floor and not via a common riser to a main distribution room. If you had that, I'd even say using the switches you have and simply making a "hub and spoke" with the distribution room's floor switch being the hub and connecting to the other floors using media converters.

Even without that, consider something like:

4th floor = hub

4-5 and 4-3 via existing fiber and using the two SFP ports on your switch.

4-6, 4-7, 4-2 and 4-1 pull four new long fibers. Terminate in 6, 7, 2 and 1 with SFP at those floor and in 4th floor with copper via media converters.

Net cost = 4 fiber pairs plus 4 media converters.

Result = a stable network.

I have Fiber from floor to floor because I have already a Stacked network inplace (SG500X)

I need another network (it MUST be a physically separated network - security reasons)

Now, I know the 3560 don't stack, and I think I'm going to replace them with used 3750 they are Stackable and POE...

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Now, I know the 3560 don't stack, and I think I'm going to replace them with used 3750 they are Stackable and POE...

NB: you can stack 3750s, but by only when they are physically near each other, not between floors.

The 3750s stack only with a stack cable? not with fiber?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 3750s stack only with a stack cable? not with fiber?

Correct, they stack only with their special stack cables.  (Without checking, I recall the longest special cables are 3 meter.)

That sucks...

Do you have a good solution for me?

I need 7 POE switches that can be stacked with Fiber

I have Cisco SG500x, but sadly they don't power my Cisco 7940 phones :(

I'm unaware of any Cisco switches that support that.

I do know, brand J has devices that support that.

Thanks for all the replies, we will end up creating a vlan on the stackables, and patching the 3560 to them...

I need 7 POE switches that can be stacked with Fiber

It's called Horizontal Stacking.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: