cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

choosing correct optical patch cable based on SFP module

Andrey128
Level 1
Level 1

can someone share information regarding the topic (all cable parameters should pass to a certain SFP module: connector type; mode type; diameter etc)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, so you'll need a patch cord of the following specifications: 

1. <LENGTH> - You choose whether you want pre-made 10 metres or you can get them to customize the length (will cost more, obviously). 
  2. Terminating end types - LC to LC (Duplex); 
  3. Multi-Mode optical fibre;
  4. OM4 - You can use OM3 if you want but I'd rather use OM4.  Don't even attempt to try OM1 or OM2.  
  5. <COLOR>-  Your choice.  Normally, OM4 is aqua but you can choose any color you want (may cost more).  DO NOT USE YELLOW as this means a different type of cable (single-mode).  You do not want to make your fibre optic cabling confusing for everyone.  

NOTE:  If someone wants to sell you an "angle cut" multi-mode fibre, they need to be taken out and shot.  

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Patch cable will depend entirely on the fibre optic backbone you are using.  If your fibre optic backbone specifies OM3 then you should use OM3 and not OM2 or OM4.  

Currently I have no optic backbone.

I've chosen SFP (e.g. GLC-SX-MMD), now I want to choose correct patch cable, can't get, where to find compatibility list "SFP type" <->"optical cable type".

I just need to interconnect devices directly in server room.

How far are you interconnecting the switch to the clients?  

For SFP like GLC-SX-MMD, choose OM4 cables.  

Now the SFP needs a termination end of LC.  I don't know what the end-clients' terminating end is.  It could be LC or SC or something else.  You need to determine this.  

Another thing, how are you cabling this up?  Is this an end-to-end or do you have a FOBOT?  

on one side SFP like GLC-SX-MMD and on the other is the same;

just core and distribution devices are need to be interconnected directly;

lenght between them is up to 5-7 meters

Ok, so you'll need a patch cord of the following specifications: 

1. <LENGTH> - You choose whether you want pre-made 10 metres or you can get them to customize the length (will cost more, obviously). 
  2. Terminating end types - LC to LC (Duplex); 
  3. Multi-Mode optical fibre;
  4. OM4 - You can use OM3 if you want but I'd rather use OM4.  Don't even attempt to try OM1 or OM2.  
  5. <COLOR>-  Your choice.  Normally, OM4 is aqua but you can choose any color you want (may cost more).  DO NOT USE YELLOW as this means a different type of cable (single-mode).  You do not want to make your fibre optic cabling confusing for everyone.  

NOTE:  If someone wants to sell you an "angle cut" multi-mode fibre, they need to be taken out and shot.  

Thanks!

Definitely is better to choose the latest standard (OM4) .

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts.  laughlaugh

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, Andrey128. Have you checked this SFP compatibility matrix?: (http://cs.co/9006mkdm). Would like to hear more of your fiber requirements. Feel free to send me an e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) for additional concerns. Kind regards. 

Hello Adawa,

I saw that document before start this discussion. It did not help.

Anyway, thanks, I will contact you, if I need clarification in this matter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: