Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 Bidirectional SFP Question

Holydjocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I want to know if i can find  Bidirectional SFP Optical Transceiver for Cisco 2911 ?if  it's possible which SFP can i use.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

They are all bi-directional.  The question is what standard SFP do you need?

Are you using single mode or multi-mode?  How long is the fibre (aka what is the range)?

And I assume you want two, one for each end.  Otherwise if you are only buying for one end, then you need to get exactly the same as what the other end is already using.

Thank you  for your reply,

In fact I need to connect two remote sites about 14km over a single strand of single mode fiber, reason why I need a bi-directional SFP. Generally SFP (FPS) uses two fibers (one RX and TX), but whith Bidirectional SFP we use one fiber.

i find Bidirectional SFP compatible with Cisco 2911 .

Thanks.

That is tricky.  There is GLC-BX-D and GLC-BX-U - but they are intended to work up to 10km.  You also need a HWIC to give you an SFP slot if you don't want an SFP slot already.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

I don't think there are any options which will reach to 14km.

You can use the one which goes till 40Km

1000BASE-BX40-D and 1000BASE-BX40-U for Single-Fiber Bidirectional Applications

The Cisco GLC-BX40-D-I, GLC-BX40-DA-I, and GLC-BX40-U-I SFPs operate on a single strand of standard SMF.

A GLC-BX40-D-I or GLC-BX40-DA-I device connects to a GLC-BX40-U-I device with a single strand of standard SMF with an operating transmission range up to 40 km.

The communication over a single strand of fiber is achieved by separating the transmission wavelength of the two devices. The GLC-BX40-D-I, GLC-BX40-DA-I, and GLC-BX40-U-I SFPs also support digital optical monitoring (DOM) functions according to the industry-standard SFF-8472 multisource agreement (MSA). This feature gives the end user the ability to monitor real-time parameters of the SFP, such as optical output power, optical input power, temperature, laser bias current, and transceiver supply voltage.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco