cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 - 10GB Fiber Module

rsrikant
Level 1
Level 1

On my Cisco 6509 switch i have 1 module which supports 10 Gbps ports.

The module is WS-X6704-10GE.

I have Xenpac installed which shows media type as 10Gbase-SR.

On Cisco site i found the below in which it states that it can supports 3 differnet lengh as mentioned below.

I wanted to know how can i check my 10Gbps ports falls under which of these below category.

How can i check in the Cat 6509.

•  Cisco XENPAK-10GB-SR: Supports a link length of 26m on standard FDDI  grade MMF. Up to 300m link lengths are possible when using 2000 MHz/km  MMF (OM3). Up to 400m link lengths are possible when using 4700 MHz/km  MMF (OM4).

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to check the fibre that you want to connect your Xenpak.

Like what the description states, if your fibre backbone is classed as OM3, you can a link distance of about 300 metres.  And if you have OM4, then the distance can go up to 400 metres.

Thanks

So it does not depend on the module we use on the switch but it depends on fiber cable which we use for the connectivity.

Let me know if i am right.

So it does not depend on the module we use on the switch but it depends on fiber cable which we use for the connectivity.

Your Xenpak ends with "SR" which means Short Range.

Exactly what are you trying to do and how far is the distance of the link you are trying to push?

As LEOLAOHOO correctly points out, 10G-SR optical transceiver module used in combination with a specific fiber type results in different reach lengths.

10G-SR module + FDDI fiber = <26meter reach

10G-SR module + OM3 fiber = <300meter reach

10G-SR module + OM4 fiber = <400meter reach

You need to find out the type of fiber you have installed between the end-points of your network to determine what link length it will support. This is a good example of how a well documented network will make your life easier.

Diffferent optical transceivers are available.  Let us know what you need to accomplish and we will try to assist.

Good luck!

This is a good example of how a well documented network will make your life easier.

Amen.  High-5!