cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 4500X-16 via fiber.

Kevin Hamilton
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 10k fiber run I want to verify so I thought I would put a 4500X at each end.  The fiber is connected to T1/1 on each 4500 and ports show up/up.  I put a PC on T1/2 at each end and tried to ping between them but it doesn't work.  I have not added any VLANs and show vlan brief shows all ports in VLAN1.  

Do I need to create VLANs and/or Trunk ports to make this work?

Thanks, Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kevin Hamilton
Level 1
Level 1

My original goal was to test a 10k fiber run by connecting a switch at each end with a PC attached, then pinging or transferring files between PCs.  I could not make it work with 4500X switches so I tried it with a couple spare 3750Xs and it worked as expected.  Thanks to all that had suggestions.  Kevin

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check ip addressing schemes on both PC's (same subnet) and make sure the vlan subnet matches (if configured) 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

The PCs are in the same subnet and all ports are in VLAN 1.

PC A IP: 10.100.0.5 Mask: 255.255.0.0 GW:10.100.0.1

PC B IP: 10.100.0.10 Mask: 255.255.0.0 GW:10.100.0.1

Pinging from 10.100.0.5 to .10 or from .10 to .5 gets no response.

Thanks, Kevin

-  Does the gateway exist  and or does it respond to ping ? Also post running-config of ports where PC's are connected.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello Marce and thank you for your help.

I'm getting back to basics, so right now I have one 4500X with a PC on T1/3 and a PC on T1/5.  No router, no gateway, and no connection to any other switches.  Both PCs are in the 10.100.0.0/16 subnet.  I cannot ping from one PC (10.100.0.5) to the other (10.100.0.10).  Both PCs are linked and ports are up/up.  I put both PCs on a basic trendnet enterprise SOHO switch and I can ping between them as expected. 

Running config attached as a txt file.

Make sure each of the interfaces you are connected to is an access port (and set spanning-tree portfast just to make it immediately forward traffic vs. having to wait ~30 seconds).

conf t
int te1/3
sw mode access
spanning-tree portfast
int te1/5
sw mode access
spanning-tree portfast
end
wr mem

Thank you Marvin.  I modified config as suggested and I still cannot ping between two hosts.  I gave up on the 4500X and put in a spare 3750X and now it works.  So I went back to my original goal of connecting two switches together with fiber and it all works end to end with 3750s.

- Configure the ports where the PC's are connected with : switchport mode host

M.

Thank you Marce.  'switchport mode host' is not available on the 4500X, so I gave up on it and put in a spare 3750X and now it works.  So I went back to my original goal of connecting two switches together with fiber and it all works end to end with 3750s.

why you mention fiber ?
yes sometimes fiber have connectivity issue.

Kevin Hamilton
Level 1
Level 1

My original goal was to test a 10k fiber run by connecting a switch at each end with a PC attached, then pinging or transferring files between PCs.  I could not make it work with 4500X switches so I tried it with a couple spare 3750Xs and it worked as expected.  Thanks to all that had suggestions.  Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: