cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DWDM SFP - log messages - should I be concerned

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jul 21 18:52:36 UTC: %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Gi1/1/4: Rx power high warning; Operating value:  -5.5 dBm, Threshold value:  -9.0 dBm.

Jul 21 19:02:36 UTC: %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Gi1/1/4: Rx power high warning; Operating value:  -5.5 dBm, Threshold value:  -9.0 dBm.

Jul 21 19:12:37 UTC: %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Gi1/1/4: Rx power high warning; Operating value:  -5.5 dBm, Threshold value:  -9.0 dBm.

NB: platform:

WS-C3750X-48P      12.2(55)SE1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

-5.5 dB receive power is outside the target operating receive range, -9 to -28dBm, of the GE DWDM SFP.  Although it will not damage the sfp,  you may experience an increase in the bit errors.  You can install a 10dB attenuator (or attenuated patchcord) at the receiver end to bring the optical receive power within the operating parameters of the DWDM SFP.     

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

-5.5 dB receive power is outside the target operating receive range, -9 to -28dBm, of the GE DWDM SFP.  Although it will not damage the sfp,  you may experience an increase in the bit errors.  You can install a 10dB attenuator (or attenuated patchcord) at the receiver end to bring the optical receive power within the operating parameters of the DWDM SFP.     

Hi Joseph,

I also had the same type of problem and refer Cisco TAC 629566213 for more details.

Here is the error message I got:

Mar 17 08:27:27: %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te6/1/1: Tx power low alarm; Operating value: -40.0 dBm, Threshold value: -11.3 dBm.

Resolution was : Reset Interface hardware module

[switch <stack switch or switch number> frulink reloads

eg.  switch 6 frulink reload

Regards,

Janaka Wellege

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: