cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ethernet to optic to optic to ethernet

vtpcnanda
Level 1
Level 1

hey all, i have a weird requirement and appreciate your help in resolving it.

i want to send a ethernet signal to a cisco 2960 switch. i want to convert that signal to an optical signal. and then reconvert it back to ethernet as output.

I have listed two possibilities below - the first with one switch and the second with two switches. Appreciate if you could tell me if it is workable.

case 1 : with a switch which has 2 sfp ports like 

so can i input an ethernet signal in one of the ethernet ports, then use loopback on the fiber optic port(s) and then take the signal out again from another ethernet port? all within the same switch?

sorry if this sounds stupid or confusing - but i am not a networking guy and just exploring the possibility.

Case 2: input ethernet signal into a 2960g which has one sfp port. use sfp module GLC-LH-SM to take the signal out of the fiber optic port into the fiber optic port of another 2960g and then finally output the signal as ethernet from the 2nd switch.

Appreciate the insights.

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What you probably want is something called a "media converter".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_media_converter

i am aware of the media converter. but i am trying to see if it is possible
with a switch. thanks.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Any standard Ethernet switch that supports an 1000BASE-LX/LH optical interface (SFP or fixed optics) will allow you to accomplish your networking needs.  

Ethernet (copper) ==> 2960 w/ GLC-LH-SM (1000BASE-LX/LH) ==> Single Mode Fiber ==> 2960 w/ GLC-LH-SM (1000BASE-LX/LH) ==> Ethernet (copper)

are u saying that it can be accomplished with one switch? with two sfp
ports? appreciate the clarification.

I was assuming 2 switches.  I guess I am not understanding what you a trying to accomplish.  It might be better for you to provide a little more information on the network you are trying to build and its application.  

this is basically for the purpose of audio. if you play a flac file and send it to a streamer via ethernet, there is a view that processing the signal through optic fiber (prior to the streamer in the chain) can yield beneficial results.

so this is not for the standard purpose of optic fiber. the signal has to be processed via optic fiber - thats all.

so btw is the above possible with a single switch with a sfp loopback module inserted on the single sfp port like in a cisco 2960-8tc?

so the signal comes in through ethernet. gets sent to the sfp - where it is looped back. so can the signal be output through another ethernet port?

appreciate the feedback.

If I understand you correctly you want to transmit the flac file via copper ethernet, then have it converted to an optical signal and then back to copper ethernet and the optical portion is supposed to be beneficial for the results. I don't understand the logic but you cannot accomplish this with a single 2960-8tc switch or a single switch for that matter. You cannot loopback an optical fiber port in the way you suggest.

You would need two switches or a pair of media converters as the previous members have suggested.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card