Views
Helpful
Replies

GB SFP Throughput Slow - Need Advice

campbell-john
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two servers in a data centre (one is a backup) linked to the same 3750 switch.  I have another server in a building roughly 200metres away connected to it's own 3750 which is then linked to the data centre 3750 via a 1000SX SFP on multimode fibre.  The link is up and stable at 1Gb.

As the fibre link carries voice most of the time there isn't an issue however a few times a year I have to move a few 4Gb files from the server in the DC to the backup (also in the DC) and a 4Gb file from the remote server to the backup server in the DC.

What I always find interesting is the throughput over the fibre which is much lower than I think it should be.

Could someone explain if this is normal or not?

For the purpose of the below, Primary and Backup are in the same building connected to the same switch at 1Gb.  The Secondary server is in the remote building connected to a switch at 1Gb with a 1Gb link between the two switches.  Every link is 1Gb

Primary Server in DC

Backup Server in DC

Secondary Server in Remote Building

Data Transfer Rates (shifting the same single 4GB file)

Primary to Backup > 9500kB/s (MAX)

Secondary to Backup > 4100kB/s (MAX)

Why is the fibre throughput slower?

I have checked all port configs, all are reporting good, no errors on any links, configs are all standard accross all ports.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What do your 3750 port drop stats look like? What IOS version are you running?

Reason I ask, the 3750 series have relatively small buffer resources (2 MB per 24 edge ports or per uplink ports) and if QoS is enable, also a 3750, by default, locks some buffers to egress queues not actively using them.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: