Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN/WAN PHY question

swallace
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have ordered the wrong SPA for a ASR 1001-X.  Instead of the 1-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet SPA I have the 10GE LAN/WAN PHY SPA.

If have the right XFP, can i still use to connect to my service provider (assume LAN mode) to a standard 10GbE interface? 

Many thanks

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@swallace wrote:

Hi,

I have ordered the wrong SPA for a ASR 1001-X.  Instead of the 1-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet SPA I have the 10GE LAN/WAN PHY SPA.

If have the right XFP, can i still use to connect to my service provider (assume LAN mode) to a standard 10GbE interface? 

Cisco-branded fibre optic modules need to operate in the same channel/wavelength and the same speed.  So if you have a MM XFP the provider must have a MM module that will operate in 10 Gbps.  Talk to the provider first and ask them what wavelength (MM or SM), speed (100 Mbps, 1-, 10-, 40- or 100 Gbps), duplex or simplex module they are going to provide for you.  

Bill Ferguson
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, as long as you choose LAN mode and the XFPs are correct, it will work fine.  If the provider were to connect with and OC192c port or circuit, you would change to WAN mode.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card