Views
Helpful
Replies

Mediaconverter with enhanced features

udo.konstantin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am looking for a media converter that is manageable and with an additional power supply. In addition to these it should also support features like SNMP and Syslog.

It should also be possible to operate the unit under low temperatures.

Thanks

Udo

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These are a vanishing breed since more and more switches simply provide an SFP port and the media conversion status is managed from the switch itself. I'm not sure if any are currently manufactured that do what you want in a stand alone package.

Alloy from Australia make a chassis for housing their converters that has dual power supplies but it's unmanaged. They used to make a managed chassis years ago but I believe that's discontinued.

You would probably find a more supportable solution by putting in a small switch that supports SFPs for the number of ports you connect to send via fiber.

Marvin,

the converter will be needed in different buildings. There is also the requirement for low temperatures by low-temperature equipment.

It must also be possible to attach the converter individually with a few simple steps

The compact Cisco Industrial Ethernet switch would be your best bet in my opinion. Use the optional power modules for power redundnacy and SFP exapnsion modules with rugged transceivers. Their operating range is -40 to 75ºC.

Data sheet.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The PCT International website shows SNMP managed media converters with configurations for hardened environments.  Below is a link to their catalog.

http://pctcorporate.com/images/stories/realtimedox/catalogs/PCT-EQ-Link_Metro-Ethernet_200803.pdf

Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: