cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NE icon is grayed-out (unknown) on CTC Network view

wbstringham
Level 1
Level 1

My network consists of 2 15454s connected by a UPSR OC48. Each 454 also has a subtended OC12 15327 attached to it. In the CTC GUI, all NEs are green/green and provisionable.

I recently relocated one 327 from a 454 and connected it to the other 454. The result was one 454 by itself and the second 454 having 2 subtended 327s attached to it. The relocated 327 (its name also changed) now shows up in the CTC GUI as grayed-out (UNKNOWN). When double-clicked, CTC reports uninitialized. If I login to CTC at the location of the relocated 327, all the other NEs appear grayed-out (UNKNOWN) and cannot be reached for access. I have cleared the CTC cache and deleted and reinserted the node to no avail. What have I missed?

9 Replies 9

mosho
Level 1
Level 1

Some of the reason for the 15327 to grayed out are

1).If you have different software release level, and you login to the older release first, the new release will be grayed out.

2)If the password for your username is different on the NEs. When you login to an NEs it will try to use the same username and password to connect to the other DCC connected NEs and if the username/password fails then the node will be gray.

3) Also you did not indicate if there is a link between the NEs. if there are not link then you need to enable DCC on the 15327 and 15454 that it is attached to.

Thanks for the feedback.

1) As I stated in my post, all these NEs were up and running OK in the original network (before the move). All NEs are on the same software release - CTC 4.1.

2) The password hasn't changed from the original.

3) Both 327s are now connected to the same 454 with OC12 links. All DCCs are enabled.

4) Are there any other specific configuration issues I should be looking at, besides DCC?

If you are able to see one of the 15327s from 15454.

Then compare the two 15327 network configuration.

It is possible that the next hop or the default route is wrong.

tgimmel
Level 1
Level 1

If you could provide your IP setup it would be most helpfull. There are all kinds of reasons for being unable to see a node. Make sure, as Moses stated, that the usernames and Passwords are exactly alike; but most likly there is an IP routing problem. A quick "plan b" when you get a node hosed up is to turn on proxy in the node that you are logged into (usually the GNE)(If running R5.xx, it the proxy only checkbox), BUT BE WARNED, ON LARGE NETWORK THIS CAN CAUSE SDCC CONGESTION! (Necessary warning). Give it a few minutes and most likely you will see the node pop up, then you call look at all the nodes and check all the IP address, Gatways, and subnetmasks. After the problem is fixed, turn proxy back off.

Also what revision software are you running?

Hope this helps,

Tim

Thank you.

This is a very small, "flat" network. All nodes are in the subnet 192.168.20.x /24. The network has no routers, no gateways, very simple. No usernames, passwords or IPs were changed during the move and only the node name of one 327 was changed to reflect its new location.

I'm on CTC 4.1

tgimmel
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like you did everything ok. I still question how the ip address are assigned. Are all the nodes on a different subnet? Double check the SDCC terminations. Check performace monitoring from the nodes you can get into. Also, if you have a login group, and you are unable to reach the node, the grey square box may appear, but never log in. Try logging in direct to the 327. Can you ping the 327?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Tim

As I mentioned, all these nodes are on the same subnet (192.168.20.x /24). I do not have a login group. I can login directly to the 327 in question. From that vantage, I am able to see that all the DCC connections are green/solid but the rest of the nodes are grayed-out (marked UNKNOWN). The Ping question is a good one. Am I able to do a ping via the DCC? Is there a ping tool in CTC?

Well try resetting the active XTC card at your maintenance window. It could be that some process(es) are hung.

Thank you all for the help. I will try some of solutions you've proposed. Hopefully, something will stick...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: