cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie fiber optic network question..

JesonMile
Level 1
Level 1

The distance between data center and office is around 140M, so we're planning connect two site with fiber optic.

The switch we're going to purchase in data center is cisco 2960x, and in office is D-Link DGS-1210-20. Linking with LC multimode cable.

Heres Question: 1.Do I need to buy same brand transceishowbox ver like my switch? [D-link DGS-1210-20 with D-link DEM-311GT transceiver] [Cisco Cisco 2960X-24TS-L with GLC-SX-MM transceiver] Or all the SFP got same socket that I can ignore the brand? Like Dlink transceiver + dlink switch?

2.Do I need to do any setting in these two machine? Or just regard them as normal switch?

3.This will be my first time setting up a new branch,any thing needs to be setup on my cisco switch?[There will a Fortigate router in the front ]

The distance between data center and office is around 140M, so we're planning connect two site with fiber optic.

The switch we're going to purchase in data center is cisco 2960x, and in office is D-Link DGS-1210-20. Linking with LC multimode cable.

Heres Question: 1.Do I need to buy same brand transceiver like my switch? [D-link D GS-1210-20 with D-link DEM-311GT transceiver] [Cisco Cisco 2960X-24TS-L with GLC-SX-MM transceiver] Or all the SFP got same socket that I can ignore the brand? Like Dlink transceiver + dlink switch?

2.Do I need to do any setting in these two machine? Or just regard them as normal switch?

3.This will be my first time setting up a new branch,any thing needs to be setup on my cisco switch?[There will a Fortigate router in the front ]

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not see any issue, not sure what Fibre is in terms of OM

1. On cisco side use cisco SFP 

2. Dlink side use Dlink SPF - make sure both are compatible with the same spec.

3. if this simple Layer 2  (i use trunk config to extend the VLAN here )

so you can use same IP address both the sides.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

140m.  The fibre run better be OM4.