cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Odd SFP-10GBase-LR Behavior

CARL90
Level 1
Level 1

We're rolling out SM fiber between CBS350-8MGP-2X switches (FW 3.4.0.17) with SFP-10GBase-LR transceivers, and we're running into some odd behavior.  

The SFP connection won't establish unless the LC connector is split/separated, and Tx is inserted and then the Rx is inserted. If you leave the LC joined and insert into the SFP the connection won't come up. If you plug in Rx before Tx, the connection won't come up. Even after a connection is established, if you reboot a switch at either end of the connection the connection won't re-establish until the above steps are performed once again.  Anyone experience this issue before?  Any idea what might be causing this odd behavior? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CARL90
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure how you're overlooking it, regardless I've continued my testing and have solved the issue.  After I was unable to replicate the issue in the lab I swapped out the lab transcievers with the troublesome field ones, and sure enough, now working as expected! 

Going to continue testing the bad pair to determine if it's a single one acting up or not.  Just because it's working doesn't mean it's not broken!  Lesson learned.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Is the particular SFP (SFP-10GBase-LR) supported for the CBS350 because I can not find it in : 
                       https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npf=946

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Listed right there, 3rd one down: SFP-10G-LR

- Combined with the use on the intendef switch the link(matrix) is more authoritative ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

3'rd one down from the matrix link you provided!  I added the wrong link when I replied.  Click the 3rd one down, that's what I meant to link initially, https://copi.cisco.com/?tpid=77 

- I can't find any 'positive correlation' with the CBS350 on that page , 

M.

CARL90
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure how you're overlooking it, regardless I've continued my testing and have solved the issue.  After I was unable to replicate the issue in the lab I swapped out the lab transcievers with the troublesome field ones, and sure enough, now working as expected! 

Going to continue testing the bad pair to determine if it's a single one acting up or not.  Just because it's working doesn't mean it's not broken!  Lesson learned.

- Good you got it resolved ; you may also find this useful :
                                             https://www.optcore.net/show-interface-transceiver-details/?srsltid=AfmBOorEXvikTBKYE8k2GMSHFpPfR31BI2LGFLSwaMOLxttCTM4PBD5l#h-show-transceiver-details-on-cisco-smb-switches

M.

I appreciate the additional information.  I was actually monitoring that, which was what made it strange.  The transceivers were always showing, the datalink just wasn't coming up because one of them or both are bad.  Seemed to be a negotiation issue.  Glad it wasn't an issue with the switches, have had enough of those already.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card