cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

om3 10G on 3064T

mike.beckman
Level 1
Level 1

I needed to support 10G on both fiber and copper so I ordered and nexus 3064T and sfp-10g-sr.  However there are not any sfp+ slots on the switch.  Looking back at the documentation it appears to support sfp+, but I can't see how.  The qsfp slots appear to support 10G, but only with the breakout cables that have sfp+ ends already built into them.  I need to support lc ends over om3 fiber (~50 feet) to connect to the other device(s).

Am I missing something?

There does appear to be a qsfp - sfp+ adapter available, but it doesn't say it's supported on the 3064T switch. Does anyone have an opinion on that? thanks -Mike

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Nexus 3064T has 48 10GBASE-T RJ-45 ports and 4 QSFP+ ports. Those 4 transceiver ports can only accept QSFP form factor transceivers.

You can use the CVR-QSFP-SFP10G (QSFP to SFP or SFP+ Adapter (QSA) Module) along with SGP+ transceivers of your choice to connect a few 10 Gbps optical downstream devices.

The 40 Gbps transceiver compatibility matrix confirms that's compatible with the N3K-C3064TQ-10GT and N3K-C3064TQ-32

Hi Marvin,

there is an alternative solution:

- plug a standard QSFP 40G module (QSFP-40G-SR4) on the N3k;

- configure this port as 4x 10G port;

- use a special fiber patch called "fiber breakout cable" (1x MPO connector on one side, 4x LC connectors on the other side)

- and finally use standard SFP+ 10G module (SFP-10G-SR) on the other switch/switches

With this solution you can profite of the whole available bandwidth (40G). With the CVR-QSFP-SFP10G converter you loose 30G

note: the fiber breakout cable is not available from Cisco, you should buy it through a fiber cables retailer.

Regards.

Gio.