cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ONS 15454-M2-SA - Self Test?

jasonhprice
Level 1
Level 1

Sometimes I buy used equipment to pass on to my clients, typically Catalyst line stuff for small businesses. But the other day I came across a 15454-M2 with a couple of cards in it (a PTF256 10Gx4 and a TSC-E card). It was cheap enough that I decided to pick it up, but this thing is well beyond my needs and my personal skill level, plus I have no "real world" means to test it out to see if it has any problems. I'd like to make sure it is OK before I pass it on to someone else.

So my question is, what can I do to test it for problems (without having anything else to hook it up to)?

Any self test I can run on it? Anything to look for in the running config that might indicate problems?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

kayukovvalera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Jason

You can make in three ways:

- Power up system (chassis one by one and do not connect them between) and check alarms, if no any major or critical alarms it mean that it just "partially" may be not broken. Some modules generate alarms - "equipment failure" only when they working.

- Power up system and connect them together according to design (CTP file). Replace fiber ducts by sophisticated attenuators. If your network non-coherent (10GE), it mean that in your design DCU modules used. In case of DCU modules you have to change them to sophisticated attenuators, because of in lab your attenuators (fiber simulator) will not produce chromatic dispersion. In this type of test you will definitely check all equipment, except DCU modules. DCU always alive because they are complitly passive. 

- Last one solution power up equipment (chassis one by one and do not connect them between) and check alarms. Open case in TAC and send them Diag Data File. This type of check not full and TAC engineers will not tell you exactly work it or not till you not power on according your design.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: