Views
Helpful
Replies

Optical Receive Power Warning - Operating above threshold

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

As we know, 

we cannot configure the optical transmit power of the SFP. Though we can check the receive power level received by peer through the command:

show interface transceiver detail

However, logs have been displaying:

Aug 20 06:45:14.434: %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Gi1/0/25: Rx power high warning; Operating value:  -1.7 dBm, Threshold value:  -3.0 dBm.

Checking it:

Optical            High Alarm  High Warn  Low Warn   Low Alarm
           Receive Power      Threshold   Threshold  Threshold  Threshold
Port       (dBm)              (dBm)       (dBm)      (dBm)      (dBm)
-------    -----------------  ----------  ---------  ---------  ---------
Gi1/0/25    -1.7         +       1.0        -3.0       -19.0      -23.0

WIll this have a big impact on my switch? Especially the SFP module

Factors like damage, etc.

Also, how will it affect network performance, both the health and operation of my devices

Your ideas are greatly appreciated (and if you can back it up with docs, it'd would be helpful too! ^_^)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It seems your distant end is sending a relatively high output power and/or you have a very short fiber connection with very little loss. Since you are only in the 'warn' range you are not likely to cause any damage to the receiving SFP or affect network operation adversely.  You do have the option of adding an optical attenuator to the link to make the operating range more within specification.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It seems your distant end is sending a relatively high output power and/or you have a very short fiber connection with very little loss. Since you are only in the 'warn' range you are not likely to cause any damage to the receiving SFP or affect network operation adversely.  You do have the option of adding an optical attenuator to the link to make the operating range more within specification.

Thanks Marvin

Yeah, I was cocern that this might damage the module, but to be safe, i wil recommend this, adding an antenuator to the optical fiber.

Though, maybe just maybe, ill try to swap the SFPs, see if it'll work

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: