Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with autonegotiation on 3750 Electrical port

amit.das
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am facing a weird issue with auto-negotiation in CISCO 3750 switches. I have configured one switch port as duplex full and speed 1000 in both the switches. Now when I am connecting these two switch ports with RJ45 cable the link is showing down. If I change the duplex mode to auto in any one of the switches or both are kept in auto mode the link do shows up with the same cable. This issue is not faced if I use the optical ports instead of electrical port. Is this the correct behavior?   

Any hints would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks in advance. 

7 Replies 7

kayukovvalera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Try to perform switchport nonegotiate, udld port on ports.

speed nonegotiate can be done in optical ports. In electrical ports no such option is available.

@amit.das wrote:

speed nonegotiate can be done in optical ports. In electrical ports no such option is available.

Don't muddle the topic. 

You're talking about hard-coding speed/duplex on a copper port.  You won't be able to hard-code speed/duplex on a fibre optic port.  

Agreed. So does this mean that with CISCO 3750 switch, full duplex on both side will not work?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@amit.das wrote:

I have configured one switch port as duplex full and speed 1000 in both the switches.

This not only means auto-negotiation is disabled but MDI/MDI-X is also disabled. 

@amit.das wrote:

Now when I am connecting these two switch ports with RJ45 cable the link is showing down.

Are you using cross-over cable or straight-through?

This not only means auto-negotiation is disabled but MDI/MDI-X is also disabled- Is this normal? Can we enable this forcefully?

Are you using cross-over cable or straight-through?- Straight-through.

@amit.das wrote:

This not only means auto-negotiation is disabled but MDI/MDI-X is also disabled- Is this normal? Can we enable this forcefully? 

No.  If you disable speed and duplex auto-negotiation, MDI/MDI-X is disabled.  There's no way around it. 

@amit.das wrote:

Are you using cross-over cable or straight-through?- Straight-through. 

And this the the reason of your initial problem:  When you disable speed/duplex auto-negotiation you also disabled MDI/MDI-X.  When this happens the link between two switches are down because you're using the wrong cable.  The cable must be a cross-over cable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: