Views
Helpful
Replies

relation of transceiver and fiber

loveandrew821
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am studying about relation of transceiver and fiber.

I could easily find the transceiver compatibility matrix, so I know what type of fiber should be connected for each model of optic module.

however what happens if I use wrong type of fiber (or too long fiber).

I wonder if there might be low voltage alarm due to wrong type or distance of fiber.

also I'd like to know detail description of each filed when I issue command ' show interface transceiver detail' on cisco device.

especially, voltage filed... what that exactly means? does that related to fiber type or distance?

1 Reply 1

fiberstorejames
Level 1
Level 1
As far as I am concerned, if you use the wrong fiber type for a transceiver module, it may cause an error. therefore, you must use the right fiber type for the optical transceiver. For instance, use the single-mode fiber for a single-mode optical transceiver. To detect low voltage alarm, a loud alarm will sound and LED will change from Green to Red if any individual cell drops to 3.3v or below. This might happen, if you use a wrong or bad module. Try to replace or use a new transceiver to see whether you will get the same error. Hope this might be helpful for you !