Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up optical thresholds

Emyrsonn Rodil
Level 1
Level 1

good day....

I just want to inquire about setting optical thresholds on Line, muxponders, amplifier modules in ONS family. Does cisco have a standard in setting up these thresholds for TCA, alarm? How many dB's do i need to set with respect to the actual rx power or transmit power?

do we have a technical documentation in which I can use as reference in adjusting optical parameters such as thresholds, gains and VOA for ONS modules?

thanks and more power...

2 Replies 2

chris-hart
Level 1
Level 1

By far the easiest way to design an optical network is by using the CTP Cisco Transport Planner tool, it allows various scenarios to be tried and also outputs amongst many other things a file called NEupdate that can be imported into the ONS node to set all the various parameters.

It takes a little work to learn CTP but is well worth the effort as it takes so much work out of setting these networks up correctly.

If you don't have CTP speak to your account manager who should be able to sort it out for you.

thanks for the reply chris... in case of a live/existing network if changes were made specifically span losses and receive power what can I use as reference in setting the optical threshold?

I was advised before that in a live network launching ANS parameters may have an effect on traffic.. since it will bring adjustments in optical parameters.,,,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: