cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP-10G-ER and XENPAK-10GB-ER+ compatibility?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

I currently have a WS-X6704-10GE module on my core , and i need to connect a branch with a 10G link which have a 3850 switch , are  SFP-10G-ER and XENPAK-10GB-ER+ compatible? 

also what difference is it between SFP-10G-ER and SFP-10G-ER-S?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- Yes, XENPAK-10GB-ER+ is compatible with SFP-10G-ER. They are both transceivers that are used to provide 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity over fiber optic cables. The XENPAK-10GB-ER+ is a type of transceiver that is designed to be used with XENPAK-based Ethernet equipment, while the SFP-10G-ER is a type of transceiver that is designed to be used with SFP-based Ethernet equipment. However, both types of transceivers use the same electrical and optical interfaces, so they are compatible with each other.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i would suggest both the side same SFP module for a better outcome.

S - S Class Only I see as per I know does not support FCOE. 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

problem is the WS-X6704-10GE cant fit the normal  SFP-10G-ER

Why do you need ER ?

as I mentioned both sides need the same module to get better outcomes. 

if that is not compatible, you need to look for the module that is compatible with both sides or get the right module or replace line cards as per the requirement.

Also, check always compatibility list and IOS code before you buy any inventory.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

>....problem is the WS-X6704-10GE cant fit the normal  SFP-10G-ER
       Check compatible SFP's for this module from this list : https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npid=597

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

XENPAK-10GB-ER+ Is already compatible with my module , my question is whether it will work and connect to SFP-10G-ER?

- Yes, XENPAK-10GB-ER+ is compatible with SFP-10G-ER. They are both transceivers that are used to provide 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity over fiber optic cables. The XENPAK-10GB-ER+ is a type of transceiver that is designed to be used with XENPAK-based Ethernet equipment, while the SFP-10G-ER is a type of transceiver that is designed to be used with SFP-based Ethernet equipment. However, both types of transceivers use the same electrical and optical interfaces, so they are compatible with each other.

M.

friend @marce1000  share excellent link, in Transceiver Product ID there is green rectangular, this green is Optic-to-Optic compatbility , this what you need to check. 
it is so easy and so accurate check it, this is solve for your Q. 

unfortunately  when i type XENPAK-10GB-ER+ there is no results for comparison

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Provided both ends use compatible SFP's according to their model(s) , the link will be operational or check : https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/

>...what difference is it between SFP-10G-ER and SFP-10G-ER-S?

The "ER" in "SFP-10G-ER" stands for "extended range," which refers to the distance that the fiber optic cable can transmit data. The "ER" version of the SFP module is specifically designed for use with single mode fiber and is capable of transmitting data over longer distances than the standard SFP module.

The "S" in "SFP-10G-ER-S" stands for "straight," which indicates that the connector has a straight body rather than a bent body. Some fiber optic cables have connectors with a bent body, which can make them more difficult to use in certain situations. The "S" version of the SFP module has a straight body, which can make it easier to use in certain situations where space is limited or where the cable needs to be connected in a tight space.

In general, the main difference between the SFP-10G-ER and the SFP-10G-ER-S is the shape of the connector. The SFP-10G-ER has a bent body, while the SFP-10G-ER-S has a straight body. Other than that, they are very similar and can be used for the same applications.

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: