Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two pair fiber cable

Hello Friends,

Some body today asked me, what is two pair fiber cable and does the switch 3750 (ws-c3750-24ts-s) support them.

can somebody, please let us know on this.

BR

Mohammad Thanveer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

An SFP (small form-factor pluggable) transceiver by definition is for a single interface. A given interface uses one fiber strand (or core) for Transmit and another for Receive (Tx and Rx). That's a single pair.

(There is one special type that uses a single strand - those use a different wavelength for Tx and Rx.)

Thus no SFP that I know of uses two pair (and I have worked with transceivers over 25 years).

There is something called a QSFP (Quad SFP). Those use four pair of fiber for 40 Gbps operation. (4 x 10 Gbps).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

kayukovvalera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Switch ws-c3750-24ts-s has two SFP ports. SFP could support single mode fiber (SMF) or multi mode fiber (MMF). And this SFPs support two pair of fiber depending of SFPs type.

SFPs in data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/product_data_sheet0900aecd80371991.html

Table 7.       Ordering Information

Hello friend

Thank you so much for the information provided.

I would like to know what is two pair fibre cable and which type of sp does support them.

BR

Mohammad Thanveer

Hi,

Depending on distance you have to buy appropriate SFP. Check first column:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

Then choose SFP type. This information will helpful in selection cable type.

An SFP (small form-factor pluggable) transceiver by definition is for a single interface. A given interface uses one fiber strand (or core) for Transmit and another for Receive (Tx and Rx). That's a single pair.

(There is one special type that uses a single strand - those use a different wavelength for Tx and Rx.)

Thus no SFP that I know of uses two pair (and I have worked with transceivers over 25 years).

There is something called a QSFP (Quad SFP). Those use four pair of fiber for 40 Gbps operation. (4 x 10 Gbps).

Thank you so much for your response Marvin. Yeah I have seen qsfp used for nexus 7710. But one of my friends asked me about 2 pair fiber and type of sfp used for it in 3750 sw.

Thanks once again for letting me know on this.

BR

Mohammad Thanveer

You're welcome.

I don't know of them in the 3750.

The only "odd" uplink type they offer is 10GbaseT via the C3KX-NM-10GT module. Those use two pair of copper with Cat 6 or (preferably) 6A cabling.

The newest 3850 (WS-C3850-48XS) does offer QSFP uplink module in lieu of the StackWise480 which is not available on that particular model.