Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade ONS15454 MSTP from 7.0 to 9.8

ittichai_a
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I would like to some help that customer need to upgrade ONS15454 MSTP from version 7.0 to 9.8. So, I may need some help

1. how to upgrade it ?a

2. Is it possible to direct upgrade to 9.8?

3. I saw many file information in cisco web site, and which one i must to download it ? ( ONS 15454 R9.8.0 System Software for MultiService Transport Platform, ONS 15454 R9.8.0 System Software for Multiservice Transport Platform - Lite Version for TCC2P/TCC3 -WSON) I do not know which one is to using

4. what should i know that my card support version 9.8? In my idea, i think it should be support but i may need confirm or information from this before. (my card have OSC-CSM, OPT-PRE, AD-2C, MXP-10DME and TCCP2)

5. Have any interrupt between upgrade ? and Is it upgrade in each TCCP2? because that may help when card reset or reboot. And the traffic still flow to another TCC2P.

Thanks

V

7 Replies 7

supoonia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

please check this tool, it's helpful, you can figure our upgrade path.

http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/optical/15000r/upgrade/guide/ons-upgrade.html

as 9.8 is just released, so with this tool make a path upto 9.60 and than after that you can directly go to 9.8.

please don't go directly to 9.8, we have to follow upgrade path.

aslo if you have SDH-DWDM system, always select ons15454sdh.DWDM.K9.R980.pkg

if its SONET-DWDM, select ons15454.DWDM.K9.R980.pkg

as you have TCC2P so you need to select lite version everytime, full version will work with TCC3.

there are some cards for which traffic will affect during reboot process, TCC will take a reboot everytime when a new software will be activated.

also please let me know if you need to know upgrade path.

also is this a multishelf node ?

it will be good if you can open a TAC case, so that we can do more investagation, if not than let me know, i'll give you a upgrade path.

Hi Sunil

Thanks with your support

I have some question below;

1. I try to using your upgrade tool, my ONS15454 is SDH version 7.0 so, I can choose only 9.3 for destination version. It means that i must to upgrade to 9.3 first and then go to 9.6 and 9.8, Correct?

2. Is it possible to upgrade without downtime ? as my understand that ONS15454 have 2 site (east and west), Can i do upgrade east site before west site? and when finish upgrade east site and go to upgrade west site after that, can i ?

becase as i understand when finish upgrade per site all card in that site will reboot, so, i think that another site will take the traffic without downtime. I don't sure that i am correct or not if you have any mention please let's me know

3. I don't have multishelf, i just have one shelf per site

4. I have plan to upgrade to customer soon, but i may need to give a plan for them. But right now, i may confuse about the way and solution to upgrade that include how and impact to upgrade.

anyway if you have any idea, please let's me know

Thanks alot

V

1. I try to using your upgrade tool, my ONS15454 is SDH version 7.0  so, I can choose only 9.3 for destination version. It means that i must  to upgrade to 9.3 first and then go to 9.6 and 9.8, Correct?

yes it is true you go directly to 9.3.0, it is not a multi-shelf node.

please be sure that your software version is 7.0.0.

So upgrade path is 7.0.0 to 9.3.0

2. Is  it possible to upgrade without downtime ? as my understand that  ONS15454 have 2 site (east and west), Can i do upgrade east site before  west site? and when finish upgrade east site and go to upgrade west site  after that, can i ?

becase as i understand when finish upgrade  per site all card in that site will reboot, so, i think that another  site will take the traffic without downtime. I don't sure that i am  correct or not if you have any mention please let's me know

no not possible without downtime,

there will be a traffic hit or 10seconds or less than that, it you are using MXP_MR_2.5G cards without Y-cable protection. same for GE_XP cards there will be a traffic loss for few seconds.

yes you can upgrade east node and after that upgrdae west node, but not like doing upgrade to 9.8 for one node and another still on 7.0

3. I don't have multishelf, i just have one shelf per site

4.  I have plan to upgrade to customer soon, but i may need to give a plan  for them. But right now, i may confuse about the way and solution to  upgrade that include how and impact to upgrade.

1. There will be a traffic impact on MXP and GE_XP card for less than 10 seconds.

2. If MXP client ports are y-cable provisioned, than upgrade will be error less, in case of Y-cable protection just lock protection before proceeding to upgrade.

3. traffic will impact as MXP cards have to do FPGA upgrade also and for this they will take a reboot, but in case of y-cable other card is taking over.

4. As you have TCC2P card, so always select lite versions, if its SDH than SDH-DWDM.

5. also if possible, arrange spare TCC2P card, atleast one at each site, just to be on safe side.

6. here is the path which you have to follow:

7.0.0 to 9.3.0

9.3.0 to 9.6.0

9.6.0 to 9.8.0

also please feel free to reach for any queries.

Hi sunil

Thanks with your help.

I have few question about upgrade,

1. Normally if we have upgrade ONS15454 MSTP, it means that it will upgrade shelf and card in the same time, correct?

2. So, follow number 1, if yes, then i may need to upgrade in the same time, correct?

3. I may need to know the process's upgrade working on ONS15454. Means when i put the SW in the ONS15454 and upgrade it then what happen in the next step? Card upgrade, Shelf upgrade, and reboot something like that i may need to know the step that.

4. Surely this is my first time, i may need to understand in clearly about the step that is the reason why i am asking you alot. ^_^

Many thanks

V

1. Normally if we have upgrade ONS15454 MSTP, it means that it will upgrade shelf and card in the same time, correct?

yeah its true, everything at same time, we just have to download and than need to activate software version from CTC, everything else system will take care, system will upgrade the cards which are required to.

2. So, follow number 1, if yes, then i may need to upgrade in the same time, correct?

yeah, if i correctly understood,

A------------B  ... topology

do upgrade on node-A i.e to 9.30,

when its done, proceed with upgrade to node-B.

3.  I may need to know the process's upgrade working on ONS15454. Means  when i put the SW in the ONS15454 and upgrade it then what happen in the  next step? Card upgrade, Shelf upgrade, and reboot something like that i  may need to know the step that.

download the software on node.

both TCC will get synchronized and will share this new software version in their standby flash.

activate the software version,

first standby TCC card will activate this new software version in its working flash, when this is down, TCC switchover will happen and this standby TCC will become active,

now the other TCC will synchronize with this new active TCC.

card will reboot one by one and will upgrade fpga if its required, other wsie it will just a reload on cards, just like software reset, traffic will not impact with this reload, there are some exception which i told you earlier.

4. Surely this is my first time,  i may need to understand in clearly about the step that is the reason  why i am asking you alot. ^_^

let me know, how you feel now :-D

Hi sunil

I am clear...

I would like to say many thank ^_^

Thanks

V

great :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: