cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what is the difference between 1000BASE-SX-SFP AND GLC-SX-MM

tmadushantha1
Level 1
Level 1

Can some one tell what is the exact difference between 1000BASE- SX - SFP and GLC - SX - MM  or both are same.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

GLC-SX-MM is the part number.  The other is just a "description" of GLC-SX-MM(D)

Thanks Leo....

Hi 

I have an issue in my data center, could you please me help out.

I have Cisco ASR1006 router in my data center and a 100Mpbs WAN link (over OFC) is coming from my ISP to my premises. The issue is my ISP is having 100BaseFx module at its end and I am having 1000BaseFx modules in my router. How should I terminate the OFC on my router as 100BaseFx are 1000BaseFx are incompatible ? Please recommend any SFP which I could use at my end in order to terminate the OFC directly on my router. 

I have already responded to your THREAD.

The same. The GLC-SX-MM 1000BASE-SX SFP , compatible with the IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-SX standard, operates on legacy 50 μm multimode fiber links up to 550 m and on 62.5 μm Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)-grade multimode fibers up to 220 m. 

Hi

I have an issue in my data center, could you please me help out.

I have Cisco ASR1006 router in my data center and a 100Mpbs WAN link (over OFC) is coming from my ISP to my premises. The issue is my ISP is having 100BaseFx module at its end and I am having 1000BaseFx modules in my router. How should I terminate the OFC on my router as 100BaseFx are 1000BaseFx are incompatible ? Please recommend any SFP which I could use at my end in order to terminate the OFC directly on my router. 

Prasanth R
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have the same problem too but still sometimes am unable to figure out the difference between 1000base-SX-SFP and GLC-SX-MMD.. 

emilyava
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco's industry-standard SFP is a hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into a Gigabit Ethernet port/ slot, linking the port with the fiber-optic network.

1. The Cisco GLC-SX-MM operates on ordinary multi-mode fiber optic link spans of up to 550 m in length.
  2. The 1000BASE-SX SFP, compatible with the IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-SX standard, operates on legacy 50 μm multimode fiber links up to 550 m and on 62.5 μm Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)-grade multimode fibers up to 220 m.