cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what is the difference between 1000BASE-SX-SFP AND GLC-SX-MM

tmadushantha1
Level 1
Level 1

Can some one tell what is the exact difference between 1000BASE- SX - SFP and GLC - SX - MM  or both are same.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

GLC-SX-MM is the part number.  The other is just a "description" of GLC-SX-MM(D)

Thanks Leo....

Hi 

I have an issue in my data center, could you please me help out.

I have Cisco ASR1006 router in my data center and a 100Mpbs WAN link (over OFC) is coming from my ISP to my premises. The issue is my ISP is having 100BaseFx module at its end and I am having 1000BaseFx modules in my router. How should I terminate the OFC on my router as 100BaseFx are 1000BaseFx are incompatible ? Please recommend any SFP which I could use at my end in order to terminate the OFC directly on my router. 

I have already responded to your THREAD.

The same. The GLC-SX-MM 1000BASE-SX SFP , compatible with the IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-SX standard, operates on legacy 50 μm multimode fiber links up to 550 m and on 62.5 μm Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)-grade multimode fibers up to 220 m. 

Hi

I have an issue in my data center, could you please me help out.

I have Cisco ASR1006 router in my data center and a 100Mpbs WAN link (over OFC) is coming from my ISP to my premises. The issue is my ISP is having 100BaseFx module at its end and I am having 1000BaseFx modules in my router. How should I terminate the OFC on my router as 100BaseFx are 1000BaseFx are incompatible ? Please recommend any SFP which I could use at my end in order to terminate the OFC directly on my router. 

Prasanth R
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have the same problem too but still sometimes am unable to figure out the difference between 1000base-SX-SFP and GLC-SX-MMD.. 

emilyava
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco's industry-standard SFP is a hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into a Gigabit Ethernet port/ slot, linking the port with the fiber-optic network.

1. The Cisco GLC-SX-MM operates on ordinary multi-mode fiber optic link spans of up to 550 m in length.
  2. The 1000BASE-SX SFP, compatible with the IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-SX standard, operates on legacy 50 μm multimode fiber links up to 550 m and on 62.5 μm Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)-grade multimode fibers up to 220 m.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: