Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA IPV6 - SLAAC and prefix delegation

TroyNorris54526
Level 1
Level 1

Hello fellow networkers!

So i've been given a small project of implementing ipv6 on a customer firewall.

I must admit, IPv6 is not my strong force, and i barely touched it since i joined networking in 2010. My proudest ipv6 moment is probably ospfv3 in an ISP network.

Anyhow - i got an ASA 5506 and i need to get ipv6 up and running.

I've configured the router infront - and the outside interface of the ASA. All good here seems to be working.

On the inside my customer wants 2 things.

A /64 for the clients - xxxx:xxxx:1002::/64

and a /52 for prefix delegation xxxx:xxxx:1002:1000::/52

So for the clients i've configured the inside interface, and made a dhcp pool aswell.

ipv6 dhcp pool IPv6-DHCP
 dns-server 2001:4860:4860::8888
 dns-server 2001:4860:4860::8844

interface GigabitEthernet1/2
 nameif inside
 ipv6 address xxxx:xxxx:1002::1/64
 ipv6 nd other-config-flag
 ipv6 dhcp server IPv6-DHCP

I haven't tested it with the customer yet, but i do believe this works aswell, since i see clients in my show ipv6 neighbors.

So this is where my problem begins, because whenever i wanna add a prefix delegation it just tells me I can't when i have dhcp server configured.

(config-if)# ipv6 dhcp client pd Test-prefix  
 ERROR: Interface is in DHCPv6 server mode

I might just be stupid, but is there any way i can have this working?

www.mcdvoice.com

13 Replies 13

Boylle
Level 1
Level 1

For clients that use StateLess Address Auto Configuration (SLAAC) in conjunction with the Prefix Delegation feature (Enable the IPv6 Prefix Delegation Client), you can configure the ASA to provide information such as the DNS server or domain name when they send Information Request (IR) packets to the ASA. The ASA only accepts IR packets, and does not assign addresses to the clients.

advanced md

trimarford65
Level 1
Level 1

Can Dogs Eat Blueberries: Blueberries are non-toxic and, when consumed in moderation, maybe a healthful treat for dogs. Antioxidants, which are abundant in blueberries, can assist a dog’s immune system and advance general wellness.

We have provided information like salon prices and different related memberships, gift cards, salon hours etc. in our website which you can use, the prices given here are taken from the official website and given to you by our team. will come which you can see
Visit Our Website: https://salon-price.com/

1. Define the problem.
  2. Gather detailed information.
  3. Consider probable cause for the failure.
  4. Devise a plan to solve the problem.
  5. Implement the plan.
  6. Observe the results of the implementation.
  7. Repeat the process if the plan does not resolve the problem.

These are the solutions from my side...If any one have another way, they can share it with us...KFC Canada Survey

todamo9798
Level 1
Level 1

i have provided centrLREch login https://centralreach-login.info/

mahici6162
Level 1
Level 1

GOOD INFORMATION FOR YOU, CLICK THE LINK GIVEN BELOW

https://mohela-login.info/

<a href="https://mohela-login.info/">Mohela login</a>

THANK YOU FOR VISIT, PLEASE VISIT AGAIN

CARROT GUIDE
Level 1
Level 1

GOOD INFORMATION FOR YOU

https://carrotguides.com/

THANK YOU FOR VISITING PLEASE VISIT AGAIN

https://carrotguides.com/

jpmadot
Level 1
Level 1

The issue you're encountering is that you're unable to configure prefix delegation (ipv6 dhcp client pd) on an interface while the DHCPv6 server mode is enabled on that interface. Unfortunately, the ASA 5506 does not support both DHCPv6 server and DHCPv6 client (prefix delegation) on the same interface simultaneously. To resolve this, you will need to choose between using the ASA as a DHCPv6 server or enabling prefix delegation for clients. If prefix delegation is a requirement, you may need to explore alternative options or consider using a separate device to handle the DHCPv6 server functionality.

Another approach you can consider is using a DHCPv6 relay agent to handle the prefix delegation request. By configuring the ASA 5506 as a DHCPv6 relay agent, you can forward the prefix delegation request to another DHCPv6 server that supports prefix delegation. This way, you can meet the client's requirement of having both a /64 subnet for clients and a /52 prefix delegation.

To implement this solution, you would need to disable the DHCPv6 server on the ASA 5506 and configure it as a DHCPv6 relay agent instead. The exact steps for configuring a DHCPv6 relay agent can vary depending on the specific software version running on the ASA. Therefore, I would recommend referring to the ASA documentation or seeking assistance from the vendor or a networking expert familiar with ASA configuration.

By utilizing a DHCPv6 relay agent, you can separate the responsibilities of DHCPv6 server functionality and prefix delegation, allowing you to meet the client's requirements while utilizing the ASA 5506 as the primary firewall for IPv6 traffic.

Remember to thoroughly test the configuration and verify compatibility with your specific network setup to ensure a successful implementation.

Arrests.org

kalato7332
Level 1
Level 1

Like you, I am experiencing similar difficulties and could use some advice.Maybe I'll get some assistance, too. In gratitude

mynorthsidehr

wemefo7339
Level 1
Level 1

This article embarks on a culinary adventure, exploring the tantalizing offerings that make Jack in the Box a favorite jacklistens receipt survey choice for food enthusiasts of all ages.

scoresense32
Level 1
Level 1

If you have a strong credit score, it will be much simpler for you to obtain loans at interest rates that are more favorable. This will make managing your finances much less stressful. You can control and improve your credit score by using the analytical tools and features in the ScoreSense App.

mcdvoicehelp
Level 1
Level 1

In the context of a Cisco ASA (Adaptive Security Appliance) device, both Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC) and prefix delegation are important features for managing IPv6 connectivity and addressing.

SLAAC is a method that allows a device to self-configure its IPv6 address without the need for a DHCP server. It uses the IPv6 prefix that is advertised by a local router to generate an IPv6 address by combining it with a host-generated interface identifier.

Prefix Delegation (PD) is a feature used in DHCP for IPv6 (DHCPv6), where a DHCP server assigns a block of addresses (a prefix) to a requesting router, which then can distribute these addresses to devices on its local network. This is especially useful in scenarios where you want to manage the distribution of IPv6 addresses on a network that is hierarchically organized.

For a Cisco ASA device, configuring IPv6 with SLAAC and prefix delegation involves several steps:

1. Enable IPv6 on the ASA: You need to enable IPv6 on the interfaces where you want to use IPv6.

2. Configure SLAAC: The ASA can be configured to use SLAAC to obtain its own IPv6 address on the outside interface connected to the ISP.

3. Configure Prefix Delegation: The ASA can also act as a DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation client to obtain a prefix from the ISP that can be used for the internal network.

4. Advertise Prefixes: For the internal network, the ASA can advertise the obtained prefix so that the internal devices can use SLAAC to configure their IPv6 addresses.

For specific configuration commands and steps, you can refer to Cisco's official documentation or configuration guides, such as the Cisco ASA Series General Operations CLI Configuration Guide, which provides detailed instructions on how to set up IPv6, SLAAC, and prefix delegation on a Cisco ASA device.

Remember that when configuring IPv6 on a network device, it is important to also consider the security implications and ensure that appropriate firewall rules and security policies are in place to protect your network.

xaxep58306
Level 1
Level 1

The Sedona Police Department website might have a section dedicated to arrests or bookings, where you can find information about recent detainees.