Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How bad an idea would it be to rack a Cisco switch upside down

Looking at a potential problem where I may need to locate two members of a stack far enough from the other members of the stack that we'd be just at the edge of the maximum stack cable length available from Cisco...

To the point where if the switches were installed inverted the few inches less difference between stack ports may make the difference between "yeah, this will work" and "**bleep**, we have to order, install, and find a way to dress 96 patch cables in an neat/serviceable an environment that is very much not conducive to that happening for reasons.

5 Replies 5

kubn2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Cooling can not be so optimal because when components on the motherboard give back the heat, by physics it will go up where there is empty space and stream of fresh air from fans in the upside down position cooling might not be ideal but I don't think you could see a difference higher than 1-3 degrees Celsius. Oh and port numbers will be upside down so it might be a little bit misleading but no other issues than that

Rogahn
Level 1
Level 1

A managed switch puts unwanted frames in the bit bucket for disposal, but if it's upside down the bits jcp kiosk will spill out of the bucket and clog the switch's cooling fans.” ... As for more serious replies, the clear consensus was that an upside-down switch was unlikely to cause significant problems.

Powell1629
Level 1
Level 1

I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.

StopElon

I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read, thanks for sharing.

Grantham12
Level 1
Level 1

The benefit is that if a cable fails, only one node will be brought down.

MyAARPMedicare

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: