cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7910+ and custom ring tones

jhatfield
Level 1
Level 1

We have a customer who does not wish for there to be an audible ring on the 7910 phones. We created a "silent" ring file and it works fine on the 7960s and 7940s. The only indocation of an inbound call is the MWI flashes. The 7910s appear to only have two options for ring (chirp 1 and chirp2). Is there a way to customize this or is it built into the firmware? Thanks.

7 Replies 7

dgoodwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 7910 phone does not have the capability to use custom ringers like the 7960 and 7940 models, and there are no plans to implement this. If you want the ring to be silent, why not just go the line configuration for the phones and check the box that says "Disable ring on this line"

The reason we can't implement your suggestion is that the customer wants a visual ring indication not an audio one. When we disable ring there is no audio or visual indication of ringing on the phone. With the "silent" ring file we use on the 7960/40 we get the MWI to flash.

Really? My testing indicates that with 7910 as well as 7960/7940 that if ring is disabled for the line, the screen changes to indicate a call is coming in but the MWI lamp does not flash. I have tested that with CallManager 3.0(9) as well as a pre-release version of CallManager 3.1.

In any case, I believe that the MWI lamp should flash as a visual indication in addition to the screen changing, and that this would still be acceptable for customers, since the phone still does not audibly ring. I am going to file a request to have this behavior changed to do so.

You are correct that disabling ring causes the screen to change but no MWI flash. My customer will be deploying phones in a classroom environment. From across a classroom, you would be hard-pressed to determine a screen change where a flashing MWI would be easily noticed. When dealing with classroom phones, this functionality is a request nearly 100 percent of the time.

Much thanks for submitting this for an engineering change.

I filed CSCdu79441 for this issue. If you have a login with access to the Bug Toolkit at http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/bugs/bugs.html then you can watch it if you like. It should show up on the website fairly soon. I don't know at this point when it will be addressed, but it is in the system now.

The BugToolkit has this resolved, but the resolution is a joke. The resolution is to not disable ring on the line. They're kidding right?

The Status is still N (New), it's not marked as resolved.

I am the one that put in the Workaround (again, not a solution) of not disabling ring on the line. And the reason I did that is because it is the only thing you can do at this point, until the issue has been really resolved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: